Talk

Advanced search

makeup help

(9 Posts)
smileyhappypeople Thu 29-Sep-16 17:26:53

soooo... make up help for foundation etc.
i have awful teenage spotty skin! (although i have started some medication which seems to be working so it is slightly clearer!)

problems are the spots for a start, how do i conceal them with a decent concealer that stays put but also doesn't make them look dry and crusty and start peeling after an hour or so?

foundation/skin prep.... i had one of those tester things done at boots and she said my skin was dehydrated and recommended some moisturiser.

i can get my makeup to go on ok in the morning but then its like my face just drys up and goes flakey so then my foundation looks awful! or it goes patchy! or the makeup slides off my nose/around my nose (and other areas)

no matter what i do, i can't seem to get my foundation to just stay nice! after an hour or so i look like I've had it on for 2 days or something!

help help help!

mrssmooth Thu 29-Sep-16 17:35:06

What foundation are you using currently? It sounds like you need something with a bit more "staying power". I have the same problem. The only foundation that stays on longer than a few hours is Estee Lauder doublewear. Believe me, I have tried many, many different foundations and this is the one I always come back to!

I have had good results with Bare Minerals, but the powder foundation itself wasn't enough coverage so I used the Sheer skin Foundation as a base then put the powder over the top. I never had breakouts when I used this makeup (I do have breakouts using Doublewear sad) and it did last a good couple of hours but it does wear off. I also felt that even though my skin looked good, it was piled with makeup (liquid base, powder foundation and finishing powder - took longer to apply in the morning). I do still use the Bare Minerals finishing powder with Doublewear.

Estee Lauder will do a colour match and give you a 10 day sample so you can try before you buy. I'm sure others will be able to offer more advice. Good luck with your search .. !

smileyhappypeople Fri 30-Sep-16 09:48:36

thank you... everything i read seems to come back to double wear...think i will bite the bullet and go get some. i hate them counters though with the really pretty, makeup perfectly applied, ladies! haha

PuertoVallarta Fri 30-Sep-16 23:41:49

Don't hate the counter ladies! I am a counter lady and I have had a few corporate jobs but I far prefer being on the cosmetics sales floor because 95% of everyone I've worked with--and I've worked for different department stores and different cosmetics lines--is terribly kind and gentle. We really, truly just want to help.

(We do have quotas but we work around them because our top priority is making customers feel and look good on their own budget. I promise!!!)

PuertoVallarta Fri 30-Sep-16 23:48:43

And one more thing!

I believe that if you look objectively, you will see that we certainly are not all really, really pretty with perfectly applied makeup. We have rules about how much makeup we have to wear (usually seven products minimum), but we are just wearing MORE makeup than other women. We certainly don't go about the rest of our lives wearing the same stuff we wear to work on a makeup counter. We are all shapes and sizes and ages and colors.

Sorry for the derailing but I do want to give another vote for Double Wear. I work for another line, but I still wear Double Wear as it's the best. Get a sample and if it still wears off on you, consider the Double Wear powder foundation. They don't have samples of the powder, but you can go in in the morning and try it on and wear it all day.

Blondie1984 Fri 30-Sep-16 23:50:26

If your skin is dry though then Double Wear might not be quite right for you - it can be quite drying - definitely go with the sample before buying so you don't make an expensive mistake

UnderseaPineapple Sat 01-Oct-16 00:10:13

Ok, first of all you do need a good moisturiser and serum. I highly recommend Superdrug Clearly Youthful range here. Makeup will not look good on unprepared skin.

www.superdrug.com/search?q=superdrug+clearly+youthful

Next you may want to try a primer and/or a spray. This all depends on your skin's specific needs. Do you want hydration plus makeup longevity for instance? This one from MUA is a good all-rounder.

www.superdrug.com/Make-Up/Face/Primer/MUA-Pro-Base-Primer/p/595400

As for foundations, Double Wear is ok but for me, it is far too mask-like and needs a lot of work to make the face look less flat. And it sets in about ten seconds flat giving next to not time for blending. Double Wear Light is much preferable for me.

Clinique Anti Blemish Solutions or Beyond Perfecting Foundations could be another option here too.

Finally, finish it all off with a good face powder or even a powder foundation. Again, Clinique do a good powder foundation and Estee Lauder do a Double Wear powder. Good budget powders are Bourjois Healthy Balance powder and the Silk Edition powder.

Mummydummy Sat 01-Oct-16 00:28:18

I put on moisturiser under my Chantecaille foundation. If I'm going out for the evening I top it up a little but it generally stays on well.

VenusRising Sat 01-Oct-16 00:49:00

Smiley, have a look at this video of make up artist Lisa Eldridge's tutorial and advice with product recommendations for acne and blemish prone skin
You might find some ideas there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now