Talk

Advanced search

What do you wear to work? On a budget!

(14 Posts)
sglodion Tue 27-Sep-16 22:22:30

I'm desperately in need of some new clothes for work. It's a casual environment and basically anything goes but I feel like I've fallen into a really scruffy routine and I want to change it.
I'm 5 3" and a pear shaped size 12. I'm thinking the first thing I need to buy is versatile black trousers but no idea what shape would suit and then what shoes to pair them with (can't really do heels). Basically need help!
Would love to go into town on the weekend and be able to pick up a capsule wardrobe for work (3 days) for less than £100.

Kirriemuir Wed 28-Sep-16 06:46:20

I pick up suits and the like off eBay. I did it when I was loosing weight. Got some decent stuff. There may still be a few bits in the sale. Next are OK for trousers.

Pigsbum Wed 28-Sep-16 06:49:51

I've got a fairly casual dress policy where I work so I tend to go for H&M basics, pencil skirts, looser sleeveless tops with a vest underneath as they are always a little bit see through, a cardi and flats as I can't wear heels but on the occasions that I do I go for wedges.

Floisme Wed 28-Sep-16 07:07:14

It sounds similar to where I work. Normally nobody but me gives a stuff what I wear but very occasionally I have to go out and look professional but not corporate. At the moment I mostly mix and match from:

Slim leg, ankle length trousers.
Knee length tube skirts - preferably double layer and/or ruched.
Reasonably smart jeans (girlfriend at the moment).
Black skinnies - which I've retired but may call up again in bad weather.
Fitted jersey jackets.
Relaxed / slouchy fit jumpers (cotton/linen in summer, wool mix rest of time).
Cotton shirts.
Long sleeved Ts.
Several pairs of ankle boots (all flat).
Brogues
Plimsolls

Most of my work clothes are from H&M, M&S Autograph, TK Maxx, Boden, Hush, occasional treat from Whistles, plus bits from charity and vintage shops. I'm 5'3 and somewhere between pear and hourglass.

sglodion Wed 28-Sep-16 08:03:18

Thanks for the pointers! I didn't think of h&m, will definitely take a trip there over the weekend.

roseteapot101 Wed 28-Sep-16 08:20:13

i got black leggings for trousers and a button up smart shirt from ebay second hand .I also got some smart second hand clarks shoes on ebay for a good price

taybert Wed 28-Sep-16 08:23:35

Not great if you want to go in a shop but I find Uniqlo good for basics like pencil skirts, smartish t shirts, Jersey jackets etc and some on here have said their trousers are good but I haven't had them. I also got some of their merino sweaters this year which are really nice and could work in a casual work environment.

ChickyDuck Wed 28-Sep-16 08:30:04

Loads of my work clothes are h&m. I have a few pairs of what they call "slacks" but are just ankle length plain cotton slim fitted trousers. They are super comfy and wash really well, and I think they were about £12! Pair with a nice top, or a vest and jacket/cardie, and brogues or comfy pumps and I am good to go!

Floisme Wed 28-Sep-16 08:53:52

I've got the H&M 'slacks' too - I was circling a ££ pair in Whistles until I spotted them!

ohtheholidays Wed 28-Sep-16 08:58:33

If you don't mind wearing used clothes then charity shops have some good bits in them.If you don't fancy that or can't find any clothes you like they always have lovely scarves,jewellery,handbags that you could use to give a bit of a different look to your outfits.

I used to wear skirts and blouses,I shopped at Primark,Tesco,Peacocks,New Look.Tesco usually has some really good sales on,I've bought skirts that were for work from there that were all knocked down to £8 each and they were still going strong 3 years later.

I wore heels,not high one's the court shoes,I used to get them from M&S.
For flats though I'd go for ballerina pumps and loafers normally but now it's getting colder you might want to look for a flat slim ankle boot or some womens brogues,there's some really nice light brogues around now.
Shoe zone are really cheap and usually have lots of different types of shoes that would be suitable for work,Primark would be worth a look as well for shoes for work.

If you can pick up 3 different outfits,a couple of pairs of shoes,3 more tops and a few different accessories(for 3 days of work)you'd be able to make at least 12 different looking outfits and it should be easy to do on £100. smile

Wetcappuccino Wed 28-Sep-16 09:01:18

Gap have a massive sale online at the moment (i.e. always!) I find them really good for long and short sleeve cotton teeshirts for work. I don't like to have to use my brain in the morning, so I have a selection of these and a pair of navy and pair of black trousers which can all mix and match. M&S are pretty good for work trousers - I prefer tapered and ankle length.

Ausernotanumber Wed 28-Sep-16 09:03:33

Tesco cheap black trousers or matalan £6. Various tops and a jacket

You can easy do it for £100

Paddingtonthebear Wed 28-Sep-16 09:03:54

Yes H&M black tapered slacks, vest tops and cardigans, chiffon style blouses, v neck jumpers. flat shoes in spring and summer, black Chelsea brogue boots in winter. H&M, primark, next, zara, new look etc

sglodion Wed 28-Sep-16 11:54:30

You lot are amazing! I've got a virtual shopping list in my head now! Thank you so much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now