Too old for a pinafore?

(15 Posts)
Littlebee76 Tue 27-Sep-16 21:41:23

I'm 40 years old and I love the corduroy pinafore dresses. Am I too old?
I'm thinking black or navy with a striped top and brown boots. Can I still get away with it or will I look like an overgrown child? .. Well I say overgrown but I'm only 5 foot smile

MrsJamin Tue 27-Sep-16 21:46:33

I'd like to know too. They look comfy and warm. Which one do you have your eye on?

bingisthebest Tue 27-Sep-16 21:46:58

If you love it wear it of course.
However I love fashion but for me it's s tad too fashions and I feel younger on them making me feel older if that makes sense! I jus can't do it but think they look great on others. But not all styles/ trends are for all.

Judydreamsofhorses Tue 27-Sep-16 21:57:43

I am 43, and have two I bought last winter - I wear them loads and have had nothing but compliments. If they are very "young" then why are shops like Next and Fatface selling them? (Mine are from Topshop and ASOS, btw.)

Littlebee76 Tue 27-Sep-16 21:58:35

Topshop do a nice one, I think it looks warm and will be cosy with thick tights and boots..

https://m.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/petite-cord-pinafore-dress-5079539

Judydreamsofhorses Tue 27-Sep-16 22:10:33

That's the one I have -it comes up bum-skimmingly short though. I am 5ft 6 and got the tall version, but even then it would be borderline indecent without very opaque opaques.

paxillin Tue 27-Sep-16 22:15:05

Pinafores and dungarees can look great at any age. I find the problem is shape. If you're a bit bigger round the middle, they can make you look like Humpty Dumpty.

Littlebee76 Tue 27-Sep-16 22:37:28

It might be ok on me then as I'm only 5foot.. Probably be ankle length on me grin

SquirrelPaws Tue 27-Sep-16 22:40:43

Judy, I've got the black one from Next and it's a sensible, flattering length, a couple of inches above the knee -I'm about the same height as you. I'm 36 and pinched the idea from my SIL who is the same age.

ItGoesWithoutSaying Wed 28-Sep-16 05:24:46

Sure we had this discussion recently, Here it is.

FWIW, I have 2 (cord and denim, Top Shop and New Look) and mid forties. Quite short but fine with opaques.

NantucketNightbird Wed 28-Sep-16 06:27:14

I started a thread on this the other week. I'm 5ft 2 and the one I bought from primark it is well above the knee on me. Since the thread I've seen people of all ages wearing them, styled differently. smile

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Wed 28-Sep-16 11:08:06

I like the look and I think so long as you're not hugely busty it'll work.

It's not for me though, because of the aforementioned bustiness!

irregularegular Wed 28-Sep-16 11:13:16

I'm 44 and have an Oasis denim pinafore. Maybe I'm too old, I don't know - but lots of people have said they like it so I assume it looks OK.

I am quite small-busted though.

SapphireStrange Wed 28-Sep-16 11:24:09

I fancy trying them but am worried, not just about age (41) but about being too tall and glasses-wearing for one. I don't want to look like a stereotypical lesbian or Alastair Sim in St Trinians.

cheeseandmarmite15 Wed 28-Sep-16 12:36:26

I have this in the beige and my daughter has it in the wine colour. I'm 50 and she is 18! I wear opaque tights.

www.urbanoutfitters.com/uk/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=5130336043697&color=023&category=MORE_IDEAS

I also have this but my daughter has worn it too so will probably end up being just hers!

www.silkfred.com/boutiques/mod-dolly/clothing/ella-autumn-brown-corduroy-pinafore-dress?tcode=GPPC_PLAs&gclid=Cj0KEQjw1K2_BRC0s6jtgJzB-aMBEiQA-WzDMVBggFj5T791QqdIVbvkmEUHkrdoZ5CLWtosGx7QvWAaApBn8P8HAQ

I also have a denim one which I bought from a vintage clothing shop and it's a mid blue colour and it's got flower buttons and a liberty style fabric trim on top of pockets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now