Why does my nail polish flake off?

(19 Posts)
UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Tue 27-Sep-16 17:37:50

I lovingly apply it. I use base coat, colour and then top coat. I don't move for hours afterwards. I use good quality products (I think). And then it just peels off my nails like a post it note.

<wails> what am I doing wroooonnnngggg?

whitesklyer Tue 27-Sep-16 17:39:16

use your marigolds when doing housework

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Tue 27-Sep-16 17:42:00

Marigolds? Housework? I have never knowingly touched either wink

I am possibly more clumsy than average but there has got to be a way of moving my nail polish along the scale from "special snowflake" to "bombproof".

Tinklypoo Tue 27-Sep-16 17:43:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whitesklyer Tue 27-Sep-16 17:46:12

I use Sally Hensen Miracle Gel top Coat (black bottle) you can put it over any nail polish. You won't be bomb proofed but you should get a couple of more days ofNail polish glory. Failing that Shellac - grin

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Tue 27-Sep-16 17:51:55

Tinklypoo no blush I will commence forthwith.

joangray38 Tue 27-Sep-16 17:52:26

Are you on any medication? I have found that since I use morphine patches nail polish peels off even if I use a base/ top coat. Apparently this is quite common.

moonfacebaby Tue 27-Sep-16 17:54:18

This happens to me too, op - I even had gels done & it did the same....

Drives me potty - I'd just like to have nice nails occasionally, but it never lasts beyond 24 hours (if I'm lucky!).

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Tue 27-Sep-16 17:54:36

Whiteskyler thanks for the tip, it's on my next shopping list.

Joan no drugs apart from various vitamins. But what an unexpected side effect of morphine!

Fairylea Tue 27-Sep-16 17:55:39

Do you have thyroid problems? My nails constantly peel and flake which means nail polish struggles to keep hold, even though I'm medicated properly and my thyroid levels are now the top end of normal range (I'm normally under active thyroid). They still do it constantly.

LBOCS2 Tue 27-Sep-16 17:55:55

So, Sally Hansen top coat, wipe nails first... And the thing which I find makes the biggest difference is to not immerse my hands in water at all if possible. So don't do bathtime or washing up. I can get a week out of mine that way.

Tinklypoo Tue 27-Sep-16 17:56:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Tue 27-Sep-16 17:59:23

I think it could be residue from hand cream. Give your nails a wipe with some nail varnish remover before you put the base coat on. And I recommend the Sally Hansen (Hensen?) quick dry top coat (red bottle) for keeping the polish on. And I do think it dries faster too!

neveradullmoment99 Tue 27-Sep-16 18:18:55

I am the same. The day i applied it, it chipped off. Very frustrating. Im lucky i get a day out of it. I had a relative stay for a week. Their polish was still perfect at the end of it.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Tue 27-Sep-16 18:29:35

Hand cream could well be the culprit. My nails used to be flaky but they are pretty good now following a strict vitamin regime. Thank you S&B people smile

sentia Tue 27-Sep-16 18:37:08

Some polish doesn't like some base/top coats, the ingredients don't interact well. You might need to try a few combinations. Also it helps to have a sticky base coat (eg Orly bonder) and a top coat that sinks in and seals everything together (eg seche vite).

QueenofLouisiana Tue 27-Sep-16 20:11:04

Try cnd vinylux- you can get it on Amazon. It says it lasts a week, mind doesn't but will last 5 days rather than being able to peel off the whole nail's colour in two days.

Feawen Wed 28-Sep-16 10:14:00

It sounds like your nails might be a bit oily before you apply. I also need to top up my top coat after a couple of days. It's a faff but less so than taking by the colour off and starting all over again.

That said, there are a few brands I really don't get on with. Maybelline and Rimmel rarely last two days on me, while Opi, the one from M&S and oddly enough Barry M last 5 days if I'm careful.

If you like wearing Polish then think about getting yourself a gel setup. I have an led lamp from amazon which cost about 20, it use shellac Base and top coat as I prefer them to cheaper brands, and a total mix of gel polishes in the middle. All amazon. The other thing you need is alcohol for before and after, something like gellux prep and wipe.

I am hard as hell on my hands and get 10 to 14 days our of them now. Plus they're growing as it's harder to break.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now