Talk

Advanced search

Down coat - any good? Or would I look like a marshmallow?

(16 Posts)
MissPattie Tue 27-Sep-16 10:45:17

I am sick of freezing through the winter and though I would get a nice puffa coat. I love my Rab down jacket, and I have just got rid of a lovely black wool coat from Hobbs as it was past its best.

I was thinking about getting a long insulated coat from Rab, or Jigsaw. Has anyone had one? Do you rate the duvet look?

HappyGirlNow Tue 27-Sep-16 15:18:12

I have quite a few quilted jackets - love them! Just make sure any down is ethical as there's terrible mistreatment in the down trade.

Assam Tue 27-Sep-16 15:19:29

Are you big of nork?
If not go for it

petitdonkey Tue 27-Sep-16 15:20:28

Uniqlo down coats are super warm - I have a collarless one that I wear under my nice wool coats.

If you want a really warm big coat then the Aigle Cuckmere is fabulous - I have had mine for five years and it looks like new still.

Lorelei76 Tue 27-Sep-16 15:20:34

this made me lol

I have a fitted one of these, it's as flat as can be for this type of coat and has a nipped in waist. I call it the duvet coat!

So they are around but I'm afraid I can't show a pic as it's gone now, it was from somewhere on Zalando but i don't pay attention to labels so can't help.

I really feel the cold and this is very good indeed so you don't need a mega puffy one to help with cold.

bunnybleu Tue 27-Sep-16 16:22:15

I have a long one from Lands End, I love it! I'd rather be warm (playground duty) than not so I don't mind that it's a bit duvet like. It does have an adjustable waist which helps give it shape though.

SuburbanRhonda Tue 27-Sep-16 16:27:49

Agree with checking the ethical aspect first.

Geese are often live-plucked, which causes the animals incredible pain and suffering. If it's something you care about, I would contact the company before you buy.

HappyGirlNow Wed 28-Sep-16 13:51:15

I've just bought this which, going back to my previous post, is ethical down.

HappyGirlNow Wed 28-Sep-16 15:23:13

Ps it's actually quite thin - you find that with more expensive down items - so no chance of you liking like a marshmallow!

burnishedsilver Wed 28-Sep-16 15:26:19

I had bad experience with a cheap one that left my hair full of static and my clothes covered in feathers - I suggest trying it on and swishing your hair around a few times before buying.

OlennasWimple Wed 28-Sep-16 15:29:40

I have stood around watching sport on a cold morning looking stupid (blankets draped around me, borrowed coats etc) and I have stood around being freeing cold. Even if you do look a bit bigger than you want, I'd choose warm marshmallow over cold any day!

SunnySomer Wed 28-Sep-16 15:35:46

I know it's not the point of the thread - but why has the model for that North Face coat got bare legs????

HappyGirlNow Wed 28-Sep-16 16:01:02

Obviously too warm for tights sunny grin

MissPattie Wed 28-Sep-16 16:47:31

Happy - that one looks lovely.

HappyGirlNow Wed 28-Sep-16 20:32:43

Oh I'm really happy with it MissPattie - I got the black, it's very flattering.

Ifihadmytimeagain Wed 28-Sep-16 22:17:12

I have one - its great. just be sure to size down and get one tgsts fitted and belted to give you shape.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now