Beauty products in pregnancy

(8 Posts)
ImYourWomanJonSnow Mon 26-Sep-16 00:12:08

So I'm pregnant (just a little bit, found out few days ago). Have stopped using BHA lotion immediately as well as retinol serum. Thinking about ordering an AHA product from Paulas Choice (recommendations welcome) but am a bit at a loss what to replace the serum with. I imagine it should be something vit C. What products worked for you? (apologies if similar question has been done before, my search through MN archive didn't yield anything useful)

Itsautumn Mon 26-Sep-16 07:33:37

Congratulations! My skin became quite sensitive during pregnancy so I used very gentle products. A lot of the French pharmacy stuff worked well or Weleda. The Vichy aqualia serum is nice and hydrating.

botemp Mon 26-Sep-16 09:35:18

Congrats!

I wouldn't be messing around with AHA on a regular basis if I were you, it makes you more photosensitive which isn't something I'd be aiming for considering how common melasma/pregnancy mask is during pregnancy. I'd look for lactic rather than glycolic acid if you do want to use one. You'd need to use it in conjunction with a good SPF50 (a mineral one would be recommended in this case).

Any reason why you stopped the BHA? At the concentrations in skincare at 2% and under it's safe to use during pregnancy.

Vit C. is great for brightening and building collagen but it's not a replacement for Retinol. What exactly do you want from a serum? A good rosehip oil (from Pai or Trilogy) are a sort of 'natural' retinol as they're high sources of Vit A just not as effective as a retinol. I believe they are safe to use during pregnancy but check to be sure.

ImYourWomanJonSnow Mon 26-Sep-16 09:45:11

Thank you both! Excited and keen to do everything by the book, so want this baby.

Yes I only use the 2% BHA, which is considered safe (even though apparently it is the equivalent of putting some aspirin on your face which makes me feel nervous even for small amounts).

my reading suggested that AHA was safe completely which is why I considered the switch (I use acid exfoliator daily).

Retinol I use as anti-aging help. It is the concentration of vit A that makes it unsuitable in pregnancy, I would think it doesn't matter whether its bio retinol or otherwise (I have the REN bio retinol which I can't use)

botemp Mon 26-Sep-16 10:07:43

I'm pretty sure that rosehip oil is safe to use for pregnancy, the Vit A levels would never be high enough (nor is OTC Retinol but I understand the rather safe than sorry aspect of it). I think it's even recommended for stretch marks during pregnancy.

The thing is AHA and BHA work differently, BHA works deeper, dissolving oil and sebum to clean out pores whilst AHA works on the surface level chemically breaking weakened bonds to exfoliate and reveal new skin so it sort of depends on what you want from an acid. If you're prone to blackheads, blemishes, etc. with oily skin AHA isn't going to address that (but will be beneficial for other purposes). A simple clay mask will help with some of these issues but never really be a replacement. Possibly consider something which contains both at a lower concentration like the Nip + Fab Extreme (not extreme at all) Glycolic Pads.

fauxhito Mon 26-Sep-16 10:34:37

If you want an acid exfoliater, Alpha H liquid gold is safe and I used it during pregnancy (also aimed at anti-ageing). Also used a Biotherm cleanser with lactic acid (I'm acne prone). I would keep it simple, my pregnancy skin was totally different to my normal skin - spotty early on then really clear and plumped (no need for retinols!).

ImYourWomanJonSnow Mon 26-Sep-16 11:39:22

I use BHA to help with milia so yes I do need a product that will penetrate below surface. Perhaps I'll do clay masks and see how I get on. I do need exfoliation of some kind though as I find my skin looks really dull when I don't do it.

Good point faux that pregnancy skin will change so I guess I'll just have to address specific needs as they arise. No point stocking up on stuff I may not need.

Off to do more research on bio retinol.

botemp Mon 26-Sep-16 11:48:52

I have no experience with it myself but mandelic acid (AHA) is recommended for millia but I'm not sure at which concentrations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now