an unmumsy parka?

(22 Posts)
Mrsbadger77 Sun 25-Sep-16 19:22:10

I've decided I need a parka in my life but I've looked at a few online ( fat face, white stuff, which may be where I'm going wrong) and they look a bit 'mumsy'. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Theconifers25 Sun 25-Sep-16 19:27:35

M&s Satin hooded parka

TronaldDump Sun 25-Sep-16 19:33:26

I think parkas are mumsy by definition. I keep looking at the superdry ones and being tempted then imagining wearing it next to all the other mums in parkas at pickup. I'd like to not care but I do blush

Fayrazzled Sun 25-Sep-16 19:44:18

I've just bought a navy Jigsaw one with a fur trimmed hood. I'm trying to convince myself it is a stylish parka but it'll probably look like its from Littlewoods in truth when I'm wearing it in a mumst fashion.

I have this one. Don't know/care whether it would class as mumsy (whatever the flip that means) but I like it.

JoyceDivision Sun 25-Sep-16 20:23:48

Have a look at Alpha Industries

I got mine on ebay second hand and love it.

Mrsbadger77 Sun 25-Sep-16 20:37:03

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll have a look.

midsomermurderess Sun 25-Sep-16 23:12:46

This from Toast, blooming pricey though.

www.toa.st/uk/product/c0gcb/winter+parka.htm?clr=c0gcb_navy&gclid=CjwKEAjw652_BRDfkebVrdOGkDISJAD0Q2RuOucIp4pGIkj3kwyLyYN7rpepdStSxNyE4tzzTc58YRoCNQvw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

AwkwardSquad Mon 26-Sep-16 06:34:37

I've tried that Toast one on and the cut is a bit odd. The armpits are too low or something! Plus it's only shower-resistant so wouldn't stand up to winter rain.

MissPattie Mon 26-Sep-16 12:27:13

Thanks awkward I was seriously considering the Toast one, but I wondered how warm it would be as well.

Also I'm a bit short and I suspect I may look ridiculous in it.

Mrsbadger77 Mon 26-Sep-16 14:59:28

That toast parka looks nice on the model, but it's more than I really want to spend. I've looked at the superdry parkas and there is a really nice khaki one I'm going to try.

Mrsbadger77 Mon 26-Sep-16 15:02:24

joycedivision I'd never heard of alpha industries so thank you! It looks like the parkas are all designed for hardcore arctic temperatures so I think they would be too warm, or am I wrong? Although maybe we'll get a cold winter this year. Who knows.

TronaldDump Mon 26-Sep-16 15:15:21

If you look on eBay, superdry have an outlet store with loads of costs at v good prices. They also do returns through their usual channels so you can send back if you don't like them. I've had a couple of coats from superdry outlet which have been great value! Gah, now I'm looking at them again and a bit tempted again...

MsRinky Mon 26-Sep-16 16:36:16

I have the Toast one - well it's a few seasons old but it looks identical. It has always been warm enough for me in the UK, and I am only 5'3 and don't think it looks weird on me.

Having said that, even though I eat meat (including rabbit) and the collar is all certified human food by-product, I still feel wrong wearing it, but it isn't as pretty (or warm) with the naked hood. Mind you, a lot of declared "fake" fur been found to actually be fur recently, so who knows what to do for the best.

DD2 has a Superdry one and it's really good quality. I borrowed it once to wear in a storm, and it was toasty warm and really did keep me super dry!

SpiritedLondon Mon 26-Sep-16 18:52:02

Oh! Are we still using the term " mumsy" as an insult. Frumpy surely ? grin. Jack Wolfskin ( or whatever the hell its called ) do one in black or green by the way.

PickleSarnie Mon 26-Sep-16 19:05:21

Hush? www.hush-uk.com/m/womenswear/daywear/jackets/eskimo_parka_khaki_blue.htm?productid=8298&gclid=CjwKEAjwjqO_BRDribyJpc_mzHgSJABdnsFWdP-3f5kdddhJWRVa_td8PNxSMBG4-VYhkH9K2Hws-RoCAXfw_wcB

Sorry I can't remember how to do short links.

I have a major girl crush on the hush models so my judgement may be clouded.

Judydreamsofhorses Mon 26-Sep-16 19:17:24

I got a Whistles one on eBay for a steal. To be honest, I do have more stylish coats, it's about shoving on when I want to be dry and warm. I'm actually not a mum, so I don't know if it's "mumsy".

Jeezimacasalinga Mon 26-Sep-16 19:27:22

I've just ordered this one - 25% off at the moment, if you're on the Whistles mailing list...

midsomermurderess Mon 26-Sep-16 20:27:48

I have the Toast one and it is as warm, well, as toast. It is very well-lined and I have had no issuesabout it just being shower resistant, it has coped with serious downpours. My gripe is the hood. It is huge and has no drawstring so gets blown back by the wind and if I have it up when cycling, if it stays up, I have no peripheral vision. It's very well made though and will last years.

midsomermurderess Mon 26-Sep-16 20:29:46

Also the Toast one is quite short on me, 5'11 , so should be more the adequate if you are shorter.

user1473602935 Mon 26-Sep-16 22:31:20

I also have the jigsaw navy one, very cosy. Nice as it doesn't have that weird fish tail thing going on at the back like most parkas do

I always thought they were more studenty than mumsey!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now