Talk

Advanced search

what colour tights?

(25 Posts)
frogsandco Sun 25-Sep-16 13:47:50

Just picked up a navy cord dungaree dress which I plan to wear with either a black & white stripe short sleeve top or a navy & white stripe 3/4 sleeve top. Got some nice tan Chelsea boots but can't decide if grey marl or black opaque tights would be best. Opinions please?

Pestilence13610 Sun 25-Sep-16 14:10:35

Black with the black and white top. Navy with the navy top. Get a grey top and then you can have grey tights. M&S have some nice [http://www.marksandspencer.com/opaque-texture-tights/p/p22473623?image=SD_02_T60_6242_F0_X_EC_90&color=NAVY&prevPage=plp&pdpredirect [navy tights.]]

frogsandco Sun 25-Sep-16 14:28:49

Really? I was worried navy tights with a navy dress might look a bit...navy. I do have some lovely M&S navy tights though. M&S tights are the bloody best grin Tan boots are a good call though,right??

burnishedsilver Sun 25-Sep-16 15:04:13

Tan boots, grey tights, navy dress, black and white top - there's way too much going on in that outfit. Make 2 things the same - any two things. Eg. Change the boots to black, or the tights to navy, or the top to grey.

frogsandco Sun 25-Sep-16 15:30:42

Gotcha thanks very much!

Pestilence13610 Sun 25-Sep-16 17:24:31

Tan boots are fine, especially as you love them. You could always get a t-shirt like this one from Fatface

frogsandco Sun 25-Sep-16 17:40:53

Yes! That t-shirt looks great,lovely colour. Think I'm going to have a road trip next weekend to the discount outlet to stock up on long sleeve tops and maybe some nice skirts too. I'm usually the office scruff so it would be nice to look a bit more put-together for once!

museumum Sun 25-Sep-16 17:43:49

I'd love a dungaree dress. But I'll be 40 on Saturday and I worry it's really too young for me.
What do you think?

BigginsforPope Sun 25-Sep-16 17:56:02

musuemum I'm in the same position. I've seen some lovely dungaree dresses around but I am wondering if I'm too old now?

frogsandco Sun 25-Sep-16 18:06:53

Oh no don't say that! I'm 37 and it didn't even occur to me that I might be too old to wear this! Sod it,I'm just gonna go for it!

museumum Sun 25-Sep-16 18:09:41

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have occurred to me three years ago. It's just the big four oh talking (and I've seen a lot of students in this look).

Pestilence13610 Sun 25-Sep-16 18:26:15

I wear this look and I'm fifty. I like to think a little bit of coordination stops me looking like a student.
Most pinafores, dungaree dresses have pockets, so bloody useful for work.

frogsandco Sun 25-Sep-16 18:34:38

Aw I'm kidding myself aren't I? Excuse crappy photos but this in the only long length mirror in the house. I just look so...meh. What am I doing wrong? Do I just abandon the pursuit of the pinafore and return the dress? Help!

rightknockered Sun 25-Sep-16 18:38:27

I think the waist looks too low on you, can you shorten the straps slightly. Wear a more fitted top underneath.

rightknockered Sun 25-Sep-16 18:41:12

Black boots would look better

frogsandco Sun 25-Sep-16 18:52:32

Right,I've shortened the straps loads and it's sitting a lot better. The norks fairy failed to visit when I was younger so I do have issues filling out tops. I think this is why I steer towards looser tops as I've always been a bit touchy about my flat chest. I'll get myself to the shops and invest in a pair of black boots. Last year's had to go to the great shoe shop in the sky (sob) so I need a replacement smile

Pestilence13610 Sun 25-Sep-16 18:52:46

The longer sleeve looks best.
The boots are a bit too much contrast, slouchy socks? cardi? other boots?

frogsandco Sun 25-Sep-16 18:58:59

I can never get the slouchy socks/boots look right,but I do love a big slouchy cardigan and have them in navy,black,cream and grey. TU 25% off finishes tomorrow so maybe I'll pop in on the way home from work and get myself a nice pair of boots in black (and a sneaky peek at knitwear perhaps). I'll keep the tan boots for wearing with skinnies perhaps.

Thank you, oh wise mumsnetters.

ChishandFips33 Sun 25-Sep-16 19:08:06

I like the striped top better. Add a chunky knit cardy to pull the colour of the boots in?

Or Slim fitting polo top, long sleeved?

museumum Sun 25-Sep-16 19:52:06

I like it. I might do it.

BigginsforPope Mon 26-Sep-16 17:33:52

I like it OP. I am seriously considering a pinafore dress now. I've seen this one in Dorothy Perkins

frogsandco Mon 26-Sep-16 18:18:38

Oh that's nice Biggins,I like that colour.

I've been out and bought some black chelsea-ish boots with a heel. Tomorrow's work attire will consist of pinafore dress, striped top, navy nights, new boots and black chunky cardigan.

Oh and I discovered a long sleeve grey the shirt in the wardrobe I'd forgotten about so there's another outfit set up grin

neveradullmoment99 Mon 26-Sep-16 19:02:21

I love that pinafore. It looks a great length. Where did you get it?
And for the record, I am 48 and have a denim one. You look great in it. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

neveradullmoment99 Mon 26-Sep-16 19:07:19

I think the secret to it not looking too young is the length. As long as it isn't a short mini pinny then you are fine.

frogsandco Mon 26-Sep-16 19:31:41

Thank you! This was my bargain from Sainsbury on the weekend-£13.50 after discount grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now