Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

boden. anyone else find the dresses a bit - frumpy?

(45 Posts)
AprilSkies44 Fri 23-Sep-16 22:56:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Vixxfacee Fri 23-Sep-16 22:57:44

All the clothing looks frumpy. Even the children's clothes!

DonkeyOaty Fri 23-Sep-16 22:59:41

You need to read the reviews which are usually v accurate about fit

AprilSkies44 Fri 23-Sep-16 23:02:57

AprilSkies44 Fri 23-Sep-16 23:09:39

Florathefern Sat 24-Sep-16 01:31:43

I've bought about five dresses from Boden and returned all of them. I liked some of them quite a lot, the length and material particularly, but I am 41 and they all made me feel much much older.

I like the kids clothes.!

OhIfIMust Sat 24-Sep-16 01:55:25

I'm 37 and have got a few Boden dresses which I always get complimented on. I suppose I dress in quite a "retro" way though if that makes any difference. Am short and a size 14/16.

QueenofLouisiana Sat 24-Sep-16 06:43:09

The vicar's wife description made me laugh- I wear Boden dresses for work- in a Church of England academy- so quite a similar look I suppose!
I find the necklines can be quite low cut though and often need a cami underneath so I can lean over without revealing too much.

Kazplus2 Sat 24-Sep-16 07:20:39

I'm 43, size 12 and only really like their summer dresses, the jersey ones. Everything else just looks a bit meh! I like the younger kids stuff (some of it). Not so much the older kids stuff.

taybert Sat 24-Sep-16 07:28:16

They do some nice stuff and some stuff I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. Some great quality things that still look great after loads of washes and some flimsy low quality things.
It's probably more about knowing which styles and cuts suit you really. I've realised after many years that I don't look good in cardigans or empire line dresses. It doesn't mean other people don't!

Eastpoint Sat 24-Sep-16 07:37:39

I think their clothes are unsexy, they just have something about them which is just a bit dull & safe. It could be because they started off as a business opportunity filling a gap in the market rather than with a designer who wanted to make clothes in which women look good. Children's clothes are fine as they only need to be practical & hardwearing.

Tubbyinthehottub Sat 24-Sep-16 07:41:55

I tried some trousers from there and they were huge. Even if I'd sized down they would've looked like old lady trousers.

carrie74 Sat 24-Sep-16 14:41:50

It's rare I find something that works on me from Boden, however nice it looked in the catalogue turns into a frumpy mess on me.

Like the kids clothes though, and they're such good quality.

BWatchWatcher Sat 24-Sep-16 16:04:19

You paired a wrap dress with a cardigan and complained it made you look like a vicar's wife?
I actually think it would be pretty hard not to look vicar's wifeish in that pairing from anywhere smile
Boden is like anywhere, you pick what suits you.
I quite like the ruched top by the way. It's v good.

ageingrunner Sat 24-Sep-16 16:32:51

Didn't Johnny boden make a fairly unpleasant comment about his target market being vicars' wives trying to look a bit sexy for the WI jam competition or something? I think a lot of customers were offended at the time. Can't remember exactly what he said.

BabyGanoush Sat 24-Sep-16 16:39:07

It was the opposite, he said he makes clothes for women who (no longer) can or want to look sexy grin

missyB1 Sat 24-Sep-16 16:39:16

I don't like any of their adult clothes - yes they are frumpy. I buy ds some of the kids clothes but even some of those are weird designs. Tbh fat Face and White stuff are much nicer and cheaper.

Eastpoint Sat 24-Sep-16 16:42:27

Well remembered BabyGanoush. That was the interview which told me never to buy anything from him ever again.

ageingrunner Sat 24-Sep-16 16:44:24

Oh yeah it was wasn't it BabyGanoush?! What a charmer he is hmm

paxillin Sat 24-Sep-16 16:49:31

Maybe their vanity sizing appeals? I'm a size 10-12 and their size 10 is too big for me.

museumum Sat 24-Sep-16 16:51:51

I wear a couple of Boden dresses for work. Not wrap and not patterned. I don't think they're frumpy (although could be with bad shoes) but they're also not "sexy" but I don't think sexy is appropriate for work so they're just right imo.

Choceeclair123 Sat 24-Sep-16 16:52:25

Kids clothes are lovely

Tanaqui Sat 24-Sep-16 17:09:38

I think Boden is less frumpy than white stuff or fat face- less limp and crumpled- but I am actively avoiding sexy for work as I work with children! I like hard wearing, good quality, flattering, and either cute or stylish or quirky, but definitely not sexy! I have a lot of Boden, but mostly plainer rather than patterned.

SerialBodenReturner Sat 24-Sep-16 17:13:45

As my user name suggests, I end up sending a lot of my Boden orders back!

They tend to look lovely in the catalogue but in real life I've found a lot of things an odd fit - typically tight around the boobs (mine are tiny) and then flappy and loose round the tummy which just makes you look fat.

I've kept some bits, and have a few things I really like - but as others have said, you really have to pick and choose.

hiccupgirl Sat 24-Sep-16 19:55:52

I have a couple of really nice Boden summer dresses and I've recently bought the striped tunic which is good, thick material for the winter. I also love their cardis and boxy t shirts - which they've just stopped making.

But a lot of their prints are just too identifying and the dress lengths can be very random. I'm short at 5'3' and some things are too short even for me in the regular length. I don't think I'd buy their clothes to look sexy tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now