Workwear to make better use of my lovely jackets

(8 Posts)
YesThisIsMe Fri 23-Sep-16 08:23:57

Well OK they're not that lovely but my old ones were really plain and are falling to pieces after a decade's hard wear (even Jigsaw's cavalry twill does wear out eventually) so they seem lovely to me.

I succumbed to temptation and bought a navy tweed-like jacket in the Hobbs sale. Doesn't look great in the picture but it's a fabulous fit on me. To go with it I bought a navy wrap dress which I'm happy with. I'd like to get more wear out of it but almost all my other dresses are black apart from a grey one which doesn't really work. Any suggestions? Either dresses or separates. I'm mid 40s, pear shaped size 10/12.

I've also got a lovely green tweedy jacket for a tenner from the British Heart Foundation shop smile. Apparently new, label says Hobbs but no care label or size. If it's a knock off it's a spectacularly good quality one, and surely no one knocks off Hobbs so I think it must be a sample. I'm incredibly chuffed because it's a perfect fit and a great colour for me.

I think the easiest way to wear it is on top of black separates. I have the black skirts and trousers, so can anyone point me in the direction of very smart black tops, ideally non-iron. I'm not actually sure what shape I'm looking for for this one.

Thanks for any help with these quite dull problems, I know wedding/bridesmaid dresses are more fun. thanks

YesThisIsMe Fri 23-Sep-16 08:24:36

Pictures

YesThisIsMe Thu 06-Oct-16 07:54:37

Bump because my rather dull post obviously got lost in the flood of stuff. Goodness S&B has a lot of threads - it took me forever to scroll back and find this. Any chance of some thought? thanks

ishouldcocoa Thu 06-Oct-16 08:01:49

I'd wear these with a longish A line skirt, made of a swishy fabric. Contrast in textures, and would make a good overall look to your body shape. Wear with long boots.

I make a lot of my clothes, so would probably run one up myself!

ChickyDuck Thu 06-Oct-16 08:22:59

Fellow pet shaped 10/12 here! I love a well fitted jacket like that over straight cut 7/8th type trousers with brogues. I generally just wear a nice thick scoop neck tshirt (try Uniqlo or Gap?) underneath so I can take it off if I'm hot without feeling completely undressed, but generally lets the jacket do the talking!

ChickyDuck Thu 06-Oct-16 08:24:59

*pear shape!!!

Arcadia Thu 06-Oct-16 08:26:01

Boden!

Believeitornot Thu 06-Oct-16 08:30:32

I'd suggest a smart navy pencil dress for the first one. Or a cream top with navy trousers.
M&S autograph have some nice wool navy trousers (thin wool, very comfy).
I have ones which come to my ankle

For the green jacket, which you really want to show off surely, I'd go for a black dress as well. Or black jumper. Maybe a thin one - Zara or hennes will have some basic ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now