Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Nail varnish that doesn't melt when abroad

(17 Posts)
Tequilamockinbird Thu 22-Sep-16 12:13:41

I'm going on holiday in a couple of weeks and would love to find a nail varnish for my toes. One which doesn't melt and go all sticky in the heat.

Any suggestions?

MyFriendsCallMeOh Thu 22-Sep-16 12:16:54

I live in Texas, it was 100F yesterday and I've never had a nail polish melt in the heat. I do use a sally Hansen or Essie top coat though.....

Buzzardbird Thu 22-Sep-16 12:20:52

I have never had a nail varnish melt and have been to some extremely hot places. What are you using?

MiddleClassProblem Thu 22-Sep-16 12:20:56

I have never heard of this happening but don't wear polish often.

All I can say is that I had gel polish on in the Maldives and it did nothing.

Buzzardbird Thu 22-Sep-16 12:22:09

Oh wait! Just had a thought...are you using mosquito repellent on your feet? That definitely takes nail polish off, you have to use a roll on one around your ankles, rather than spraying.

JamieLannistersFuckButler Thu 22-Sep-16 12:41:18

As Buzzard says.

DEET insect repellent will DISSOLVE (or start to, so soften) nail varnish, including I believe UV-cured gel/varnish etc such as Shellac.

Sun tan lotion with insect repellant contains DEET.

So, read the ingredients of your products to avoid this.

ThanksForAllTheFish Thu 22-Sep-16 12:44:10

I've had the same problem too but it could be the mosquito repellant as I never realised it could take of nail polish.

I also find that walking barefoot in the sand rubs away my polish as it's so abrasive.

Gel polish sounds like the way to go.

OliviaBensonOnAGoodDay Thu 22-Sep-16 12:44:32

It's sun cream that takes it off, I find. Really irritating when you've had your nails done especially for holiday!

Doobigetta Thu 22-Sep-16 13:22:43

DEET destroys ordinary polish but not shellac, in my experience. You just have to be careful with your aim.

Tequilamockinbird Thu 22-Sep-16 22:00:42

Ah ha! Yes, I use lots of insect repellant. I never even considered it could be that, thought it was just the heat melting the polish. blush

Thanks ladies, will get some roll on for ankles instead.

Buzzardbird Fri 23-Sep-16 12:00:28

this is the one I used this year

OuchLegoHurts Fri 23-Sep-16 13:04:42

Yes, definitely the mossie repellent. I got a lovely manicure for my wedding and then I was in Cuba two days later on honeymoon and my lovely manicure turned to mush!

trixymalixy Fri 23-Sep-16 13:11:58

I didn't use any insect repellent on holiday and my nail varnish melted. I'm fairly certain it was the sun cream.

Buzzardbird Fri 23-Sep-16 13:48:13

Some sun creams has repellent in them.

trixymalixy Sat 24-Sep-16 09:09:42

Mine didn't.

lcastanheiro Fri 21-Jul-17 19:48:45

[shocked] that is not true at all. The culprit in dissolving or softening or the nail polish is the carriers that they use, like Butane, Propane, isobutane and to some extent ethyl alcohol.

Cavort Fri 21-Jul-17 20:02:55

It's definitely sun cream that takes my nail polish off and I don't use sun cream containing insect repellent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now