Bra intervention for the old and deflated

(9 Posts)
AuntieStella Wed 14-Sep-16 10:03:58

I've been wearing bras that fit (intervention style) for years, and used to go to Rigby and Peller and Bravissimo for their fittings from time to time, buying elsewhere between times.

It's going to be a while before I can get to that sort of bra shop. But I've lost a lot of weight this year (yay!) but my boobs are seriously deflated. If I do the standard dangle forwards method to measure over the boobs, I come out as a 32 G. But that really is dangle IYSWIM. The volume has gone, but the skin hasn't shrunk.

Having hunted for a running bra, I found that in Shock Absorber (which come up tight in the band) I'm a 34C, and measure 36 at widest point when I'm in it (it squishes them in a bit).

So, I was thinking of going with about the 32D/32DD sizing as the start point. Does that sound reasonable?

AuntieStella Sun 25-Sep-16 08:56:53

Oh well.

Beyond help, it seems.

wordassociationfootball Sun 25-Sep-16 09:15:01

Never beyond help! I'm having issues with deflation and whether to dangle. Am giving M&S One Last Try today. I find their bands really tight so will be trying all manner of sizes.

I just want them cranked up a few inches and bust shaped and to be comfortable.

SorrelForbes Sun 25-Sep-16 09:15:17

Sorry, I didn't see your post. Ok, so you're currently measuring at 32G? I'd say a 32DD might be a tadge small even when taking into account any lack of fullness. What bra size are you wearing in non-sports bras?

SorrelForbes Sun 25-Sep-16 09:16:35

Avoid M&S, honestly their fitting is a joke and their bras are not good quality.

Have you tried measuring like this

RitchyBestingFace Sun 25-Sep-16 09:21:01

I lost volume after breastfeeding and decided to go down a cup size. It was too small. I think you still need the right cup size even if it's just skin.

AuntieStella Sun 25-Sep-16 09:28:42

It's been over a fortnight since I posted, so I found time to go to a proper bra shop rather than try some myself.

I'm now in a 34DD, which surprised me a little as I was fully expecting a narrower band.

(before that I had been wearing 34E or F, which were OK but often had odd gaps at the top of the cup)

SorrelForbes Sun 25-Sep-16 09:33:28

Gaping is often down to the wrong style. As long as you're comfy in the 34DD then all is well. I'd keep an eye on the fit though as there's a big difference between 32G and 34DD. It's worth pointing out that many 'proper' bra shops still use the outdated method of adding 4/5" to the underbust measurement.

AuntieStella Sun 25-Sep-16 09:47:30

I've used 'intervention' style fitting since my first trip to Rigby and Peller in the 1980s.

The shop assistant did not add anything to my under-bust measurement as a matter of policy.

My request really had been overtaken by events when I went to the fitting. I had been thinking of trying myself, which is why I asked for the help I thought I needed. I should have just let this thread sink.

Sorry everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now