keeponkeepinon Mon 12-Sep-16 20:29:26

.....is it even possible?

Dry and warm for the school run
And
Smart enough for work
And
Stylish enough to head to the pub for drinks

Destinysdaughter Mon 12-Sep-16 20:42:32

May depend on your shape and how much you want to spend? What's your normal style?

keeponkeepinon Mon 12-Sep-16 20:51:36

Skinnies and Chelsea boots / converse for every day
Shift dresses/a line skirts and black tights for work with loafers
Mostly jeans and a top for the rare night out to the pub i get. Mostly worn with little ankle boots.
Fairly relaxed casual overall.
Got a chest that can look exaggerated with some coats. I think I need a well tailored/fitted shoulder to give me shape. No drop shoulders. Military style cuts probably best.
Not much to ask eh?grin

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 12-Sep-16 21:46:43

This would be mine.

Out of my price range though!

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 12-Sep-16 21:47:17

I am obsessed with this coat at the moment. I think I've linked to it about six times on s&b!

keeponkeepinon Mon 12-Sep-16 22:02:50

Nice but err, way way out of budget!!

mumobsessedwithdamp Mon 12-Sep-16 22:07:57

I am currently loving this www.cosstores.com/gb/Women/Coats_Jackets/Wool_duffle_coat/46891-49007862.1#c-85342

mumobsessedwithdamp Mon 12-Sep-16 22:09:42

(Looks better on!)

Lorelei76 Mon 12-Sep-16 22:10:09

Felicia I feel like the shops are full of coats that look like that and don't cost that.

The Cos coat is lovely but I thought OP wanted something waterproof ...could have misunderstood.

WeetabixLorry Mon 12-Sep-16 22:18:04

Can anyone suggest a cheaper lookalike for that lovely Burberry one? I really want it but DH would kill me if I spent nearly £700 on a jacket!!

albertcampionscat Mon 12-Sep-16 22:20:36

Love the cos one.

travailtotravel Mon 12-Sep-16 22:24:56

I want a classic wool blend single breasted long coat. Every year these things are dverywhere. Can I find one? Can I buggery. I'm a size 20 which fiesnt help, obvs.

keeponkeepinon Mon 12-Sep-16 22:29:36

Cos one is nice but I think it would swamp me a bit, I'm a shortie.
Waterproof would be ideal, but I am beginning to think it's impossible to fulfil those criteria at the same time.

SpaghettiMeatballs Mon 12-Sep-16 22:31:48

Love that Burberry coat felicia. Just need a 75% discount code!!

PinkGeranium Mon 12-Sep-16 22:33:06

Oh that Burberry is nice! How warm is it Felicia?
Hobbs have some coats on their outlet site.

PickAChew Mon 12-Sep-16 22:35:48

The burberry is lovely, but not £700 lovely!

What sort of style do you like, keep? Parka? Trench coat? Classic mac? That should have as much influence on what you buy as anything anyone says here.

Also hard to combine the work smart and waterproof, unless you simply take your coat off at work to reveal lovely dry smart clothes or, otherwise, have a job with an outdoorsy element. If you're a teacher or similar, I'd go for a Parka. If you're in an office all day, I'd not care how I kept warm and dry on the way.

PickAChew Mon 12-Sep-16 22:42:35

This is my current deep northeast Proper Baltic winter coat - really properly waterproof windproof and snowstorm proof!
www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/berghaus-womens-ancroft-insulated-parka-a2212679?id_colour=98

And this is the one I've just bought for when the weather isn't quite as hars, or I'm shopping and want to be able to use a public loo without half undressing!
www.seasaltcornwall.co.uk/waterproof-outdoor-technical-jackets/rain_coats/low_hip_length/tiller-short-warm-fleece-lined-raincoat_galley.htm

witsender Mon 12-Sep-16 22:46:29

Seasalt have a parka style at the moment.

witsender Mon 12-Sep-16 22:46:44

And a Mac type maybe?

keeponkeepinon Mon 12-Sep-16 23:00:16

I have had parka coats in the past so I fancied a change. Plus the parka I have - I'd never go out in the evening in it, its too practical looking.
I love peacoats, always have. Something quite sort of tailored would be better for me really. I've always liked military style coats, they feel smarter on me than anything else.

Showgirl109 Mon 12-Sep-16 23:11:29

weetabix look at Zara some really nice trenches in at the moment, water resistant.

DavidWainwrightsFeet Mon 12-Sep-16 23:24:08

I now need that Burberry. I've never seen a decent looking trench with a hood before (I have a North Face Suzanne but it's not work-smart).

I saw the most gorgeous cashmere coat in TKMAXX the other day www.tkmaxx.com/womens-gold-label/charcoal-cashmere-topcoat/invt/12220689 Bloody good job that they didn't have it in my size. In fact, browsing through TK MAXX has made me realise that I'm entering one of my periodic spasms of COATLUST! and must hide my credit card until it passes - I already have four smart wool coats, one biker jacket, two trenches, two North Faces, one light weight Barbour and a bizarre silver anorak.

PikachuBoo Mon 12-Sep-16 23:26:49

I think you need more than one coat. I have a lightweight hooded waterproof, a warm hooded waterproof, and a smart black work coat with no hood.

I don't think you can easily get one coat to do everything!

Seasalt is good for waterproofs. This year they also have a 'smart' one

Shenanagins Mon 12-Sep-16 23:31:33

Have you considered a wool coat coupled with a hat on rainy days- I do this for work/going out as I've never found the holy grail of a waterproof coat that looks smart enough to go out in.

Ohchristmastreeohchristmastree Tue 13-Sep-16 06:52:20

I'd say you need more than one coat too.
I'd go for a simple rain coat for the school run. Then a nice wool coat and a brolly when you want to dress up a bit. Or get a taxi to the pub!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now