Greying hair

(4 Posts)
Greyinglady Mon 12-Sep-16 19:25:08

My hair is slowly going grey and I am finding it hard to resist dyeing it but I know I must persevere because I can't stand the horrible orange look I get from hair dye and I can't afford to visit a salon.
I am wondering if there is anyone out there who is pleased with how there grey hair has turned out and did it take a long time for it to look good?
I am worried about feeling invisible and washed out but I think it is important to me to be able to accept that I am getting older and am no longer a young person.

SilentlyScreamingAgain Mon 12-Sep-16 19:56:17

I love my grey hair, it suits me but I think it would be a bad idea to allow yourself to look a way you're not enjoying to teach yourself some kind of lesson about the fleetingness of youth as, in time, you'll be wearing plenty of reminders of that.

Do what makes you happy not what you feel you ought to do.

Jinglebells99 Mon 12-Sep-16 20:04:10

I stopped dying mine about 15 months ago. Had it cut into a longer pixie after a few months and since December it's been all my own colour. I've had quite a lot of compliments, more than I ever got with my dyed brown hair, and a few people have been inspired to stop dying their hair too. I sometimes see photos of myself from before and think I look younger though. I was starting to get really noticeable roots coming through and was having to get it dyed every six weeks. I don't miss the time spent at salons or the expense! I used to go on a Facebook page called going gorgeously grey.

IWasSpartacus Mon 12-Sep-16 20:41:54

Join a Facebook group - there are several . Although they are "closed" groups they are very open and friendly and largely just a bunch of people sharing their experiences of what you are going through. You don't have to post anything - you can just lurk. Here is one - there are others too. www.facebook.com/groups/620789137997967/
<disclaimer - not my group- but I am a member>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now