Talk

Advanced search

S&B ladies... please help me name my beauty range!

(42 Posts)
retrocutie Mon 12-Sep-16 19:06:13

So I have developed my own beauty range but am having problems coming up with a name for it. I am looking for something sophisticated but that is also a bit cool and quirky. The range is natural and cruelty-free.

I have paid for the services of a graphic designer to do our logo. She was meant to start work today but unfortunately as I still don't have a name she couldn't do it.

Honestly I am driving myself mad. I have spent weeks on the internet looking for inspiration but I just can't find any. So could you help me please, ladies of S&B? if it was allowed I would offer a prize but I think it's probably against MN rules...

Thanks in advance, I would really appreciate any suggestions.

TheLittlestBear Mon 12-Sep-16 19:22:12

Retrocutie!

retrocutie Mon 12-Sep-16 19:34:36

Ha ha, TheLittlestBear, I thought that but I can't use it. Thanks though.

botemp Mon 12-Sep-16 19:35:50

One of your Gran's names and your favourite animal in French? Sorry, OP it's kind of hard without further information, what will be the price point? Where do you hope to sell it? Who do you consider direct competitors? What's the aesthetic? What's the USP? Why did you decide to create this line, who is your target audience, Etc. etc.

Also, I have no idea if this allowed on MN, businesses tend to pay for input threads on a separate board. Have you run this past MNHQ before posting?

retrocutie Mon 12-Sep-16 19:41:40

Phyllis Hippopotame... oh dear grin.

I am worried about what you said though. I do not want to be banned from Mumsnet...

botemp Mon 12-Sep-16 19:49:36

For whatever reason I do like the Hippopotame bit but I doubt people would sign up to look like a hippo grin though they are lovely and smooth...

I think they'd only remove the thread and give you a warning, there is a business board (or something along those lines) for startups and the like where people do a bit of brainstorming together and give business advice.

retrocutie Mon 12-Sep-16 19:50:46

botemp, thanks for your questions, here are my answers...

- High-end (similar pricing to Dermalogica, although different products)
- To beauty salons with small retail range
- Sophisticated but green
- Beautiful yet (environmentally-friendly) packaging, no parabens, etc, etc.
- I have worked in the industry for years and have created a range that I wanted as a customer
- People who want beauty treatments but that also want something with responsible packaging, not tested on animals, etc.

botemp Mon 12-Sep-16 20:13:19

So are we talking the price point Tata Harper really should be available at in the UK, slightly undercutting them putting you in line with something like Aurelia Probiotic Skincare but slightly above Pai? Is it more in line with high performance or indulgent/pampering, the above reads more as the latter but I don't want to presume.

I'm still curious as to what your USP is, how you differentiate yourself from the gazillion other natural brands esp. considering the influx of American natural/vegan brands. The most memorable brand names for me are usually the ones who can tie in their name with the brand ethos, eg. Verso is derived from Reverso which is to reverse-rewind time and the entire brand is based on their patented Retinol type and they tend to repeat that whole story to anyone who will listen.

Do you want anything that speaks of place, eg. a British heritage?

pieceofpurplesky Mon 12-Sep-16 20:15:19

What ingredients do you use?

botemp Mon 12-Sep-16 20:21:33

Also, feminine, masculine, or neutral sounding?

joangray38 Mon 12-Sep-16 20:27:40

Sophisticat? What are your main ingrediants can you word your name around that?
Aromacuties?

OCSockOrphanage Mon 12-Sep-16 20:33:30

Being contrary, I think I am too old for anything called ...cuties! Do you prefer science-y or organic/vegan/clean/green? Is it anti-ageing? Who are your tribe?

RickOShay Mon 12-Sep-16 20:39:28

What about a nature name? Japonica Green, or something with velvet, perhaps Green Velvet?
Sorry if that is totally crap. grin

RickOShay Mon 12-Sep-16 20:40:26

Or even Green Daisy < getting the hang of it now>

botemp Mon 12-Sep-16 20:40:42

So Phyllis actually means foliage in Greek, which is sort of a nice comforting green blanket. You can modernise it into Fil-is or Fil-IS (your graphic designer will have a field day with this) but I do think it needs to fit a modern aesthetic (think Votary)

CAELESTIS (m.) alternatively Celestine (f.) - 'of the sky, heavenly' feeds more into the indulgent pampering aspect.

RickOShay Mon 12-Sep-16 20:41:50

Red Rose?
It's ok I'll stop now

peachypips Mon 12-Sep-16 20:44:45

Hippolyta?? Greek goddess of war.

retrocutie Mon 12-Sep-16 20:49:19

Ooh, thanks for your suggestions! My customers are quite high-maintenance but seek products that are natural and safe. 'Sciencey', 'clean'... I would like something that incorporates both of these.

Also I like spring colors, if that helps. I don't like the color green, I like turquoise though.

joangray38 Mon 12-Sep-16 21:23:53

Nu visage?

RebelandaStunner Mon 12-Sep-16 22:43:01

Spotless?

pieceofpurplesky Mon 12-Sep-16 23:44:33

Aquaroma Theraputic

Hamiltoes Mon 12-Sep-16 23:52:27

"Decogen" or "DECO•GEN"..

Deco from latin for beautiful and gen just because i think it sounds sciency.. Generation?

ThanksForAllTheFish Tue 13-Sep-16 00:33:40

Ok I'm not very good at this sort of thing but I was going to suggest 'Happy Bunny' . Firstly because the symbol for cruelty free products is a bunny, and also because both the customers and the bunnies will be happy (like the phrase I'm a happy bunny).

Not very science-y, or expensive sounding ........ I'll get my coat!

OlennasWimple Tue 13-Sep-16 00:41:49

What about something simple like your initial plus "Skin care" or "Kind Skin Care"?

hollinhurst84 Tue 13-Sep-16 01:27:54

Ora skincare
Opaline
Adara
Venita
Azala

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now