Talk

Advanced search

Stupid question about down-filled jackets/coats

(9 Posts)
macnab Mon 12-Sep-16 15:01:15

I am very allergic to feathers, can't have a feather pillow or duvet near me as I end up unable to breathe.

So, yes am wondering even though I know the answer is probably YES - would I be as allergic to a down-filled coat? Or is that something different to feathers used in bedding?? I'm a cold critter and would really love a warm winter jacket but don't want to waste my money if I end up unable to wear it (and won't be able to return as it will have been worn)

bearleftmonkeyright Mon 12-Sep-16 15:08:22

Yes they are feathers smile and lovely and warm. I have a mountain equipment down filled coat and caught it on some barbed wire. There was a feather flurry.

macnab Mon 12-Sep-16 15:13:27

oh, I knew but only 99% and was hoping for a different answer!

Maybe someone can recommend something similar but not feather?

ZaraW Mon 12-Sep-16 15:21:18

I don't wear down for ethical reasons I have a Fjallraven Thermalight padded jacket. If it gets wet it's much easier than down to dry.

AlannaOfTrebond Mon 12-Sep-16 15:28:55

You can get lovely padded jackets filled with synthetic fibres or merino wool. As well as avoiding the down problem, they are also much easier to wash.

Have a look at Icebreaker and Finisterre for examples, neither are cheap but should give you some good ideas. Jack Wolfskin also do synthetic fill, I have their Crystal Iceguard coat and love it.

SesameSparkle Mon 12-Sep-16 15:34:35

My friend has the same problem with feather bedding. She bought a down coat and survived. I suspect there could be different amounts of allergen in different feather items, which also depends on how they are kept. But you're right that it might be an expensive mistake. Could you find a coat with soft wadding or a fleecy lining instead?

macnab Mon 12-Sep-16 15:55:19

hmm, the merino wool ones look great, lots of lovely jackets on North Face, but they are way out of my budget at the moment.

Will keep looking, thanks.

maggiethemagpie Mon 12-Sep-16 19:07:50

I bought a north face thermoball jacket last year and it's amazing! As warm as down but much much thinner - I call it my magic jacket.
www.gearforgirls.co.uk/the-north-face-thermoball-jacket-womens/?dfw_tracker=18511-2036-0009&gclid=CKye3u21is8CFRRmGwodJaILgA

Would that be any good? Not sure what they make it out of but is synthetic.

justilou Tue 13-Sep-16 20:39:17

Was going to recommend the Northface thermoball as well. I'm not allergic to feathers, but phobic.... Can't stand the scratchy, icky little buggers poking through!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now