Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Wide calf boots

(16 Posts)
koalab Mon 12-Sep-16 10:15:26

It's that time of year when I start the hunt for a pair of boots that fit. I'm not an overly large person (UK size 14) and I have standard size feet (size 5, normal width) but chunky calves (45cm). Last year I got an awful pair from SimplyBe. The 'leather' peeled within a few wears and the sole came away not long after. I'm a bit reluctant to pay the Ted and Muffy prices as their reviews are not good since the re-brand.

I have stumbled on jjfootwear.co.uk which appear to be a German company that allow you to select wider calf measurements, but can't find any reviews of them. Has anyone had any experience of them or have any other recommendations?

IsItGinTimeYet Mon 12-Sep-16 10:17:21

Jones the bootmaker do a wide leg but normal ankle and foot option.

CadburysTastesVileNow Mon 12-Sep-16 10:18:36

None of jjfootwear, but every time I've cracked and bought a pair of boots from Duo / ted & Muffy (supposedly the Rolls Royce of wide calf boot-makers) they've gone back. Feet and ankles always too small.

Onedaftmonkey Mon 12-Sep-16 10:20:50

Id try Evans. They cater for wider sizes and not just foot width.

NisekoWhistler Mon 12-Sep-16 10:24:56

Duo boots - check out their website

koalab Mon 12-Sep-16 10:28:49

Thanks for the quick responses!

Jones' website doesn't seem to be loading at the moment but it looks like they only have two pairs of knee high boots. Will give it a look later though.

Have never had any luck finding boots in Evans as they are always massive on my feet. But at least I can pop into one of their stores and try a few on though.

koalab Mon 12-Sep-16 10:29:39

Duo boots are now Ted and Muffy unfortunately.

NisekoWhistler Mon 12-Sep-16 10:52:10

Ah right, didn't know that

0hCrepe Mon 12-Sep-16 10:54:33

I saw some on la redoute the other day, in the sale as well I think.

koalab Mon 12-Sep-16 11:07:51

Unfortunately my calves are too big for a 'normal' wide calf fit so the LaRedoute ones are probably going to be too narrow. I have spent many a stressful shopping trip in places like Clarkes where the shop assistants have brought out their wide fit boots for me only to be able to get the zip half way up my leg sad I need to stick to made to measure I think.

I have actually seen a pair I like on the Ted and Muffy website but their reviews are really bad these days, and considering their prices now I don't know if I want to bother with them. I'd be happy to invest in a good fitting pair if I knew they would last, preferably more than one winter.

TwoWeeksInCyprus Mon 12-Sep-16 13:52:42

I've seen Jilsen boots recommended on here, but haven't tried them myself.
They have various different calf widths

www.jilsen.com/eng/

Chewbecca Mon 12-Sep-16 13:55:27

Gabor?

ElspethFlashman Mon 12-Sep-16 14:01:21

What about the non zip ones? The ones with a solid leather panel on the front and a stretchy panel at the back?

I have had great success with them. More flattering than the entirely stretchy ones which can dig in unflatteringly under your knee like the elastic is about to pop.

I've gotten good ones in that style from both M&S and Clark's. Actually M&S is the only place I bother even attempting zip ones nowadays, but I actually think the half leather half stretchy type are slimmer and nicer on the leg.

Serenite Mon 12-Sep-16 14:10:04

I used to buy some in marks and Spencer but it was a question of trying them on as plenty of the wider ones wouldn't fit but some did. I found the half leather, half elastic always worked and the full stretch ones too. Otherwise kurt Geiger and next used to have boots that fitted me, either wide fit or the pretend suede ones or stretchy were the ones. I've never had any luck with duo boots but I know they come highly recommended by people they suited, I never got on with them. I can empathise though, I remember buying fabulous leather ugg boots which wouldn't zip up and having perfect winter boots, perfect heel, toe that I couldn't get on. I tend still to order these long boots to home rather than go and 'try' them (struggle/sweat/panic) in a shop. I'm pretty sure in some shops recently I've seen adverts for varying width fitting so maybe google it. What style of boots are you after?

Chestersidiot Mon 12-Sep-16 14:45:05

I have also looked at jj - but haven't been brave enough to try a stab in the dark given the prices and the fact you have to pay for returns. I am always on the look out for coloured wide leg boots which can be extremely hard to find. In my quest I have <whisper> bought from jdwilliams (who appear to be the same thing as Marisota/Simplybe etc). Might be worth a look, they have a wide selection.

QueenofLouisiana Mon 12-Sep-16 17:27:18

Sainsburys. I also have big calves and find I can do up their boots without a problem. My current ones are about to do a 3rd winter!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now