Talk

Advanced search

Work trousers for the fuller of thigh/hip?

(19 Posts)
AwayAwayAway Mon 12-Sep-16 07:47:21

I had a shitty Sunday trying on trousers and bras in uniqlo, JL, debenhams, gap and top shop. It was an unmitigated disaster. Nothing remotely fit and uniqlo had no black trousers in the store that were bigger than 27 in waist. My upper thighs/hips are 42" , my proper high waist is 30", my low waist where the trousers close are 33". According to gap this makes me a size 22, I'm not, I'm a 12/14. They had no 12s in the Oxford street store!

Can someone please suggest somewhere where I can buy trousers that remotely fit? I've had 1 pair of work trousers for the last 6 years and I would have bought more but bloody Zara changed their fit so now I can't buy trousers there either.

I want black, nice fabric, not too school uniform, slim at the ankles and slightly stretchy. Should I hold out hope or give up the search?

ggirl Mon 12-Sep-16 07:52:54

dotty p
My dd needed some that are for pair shape and got some great ones in DP , not 100% sure they were these ones tho.

InTheDessert Mon 12-Sep-16 07:58:16

Not needed work clothes recently, but yes, DP or (whispers) M&S were my most sucessful shopping trips.

babyboyHarrison Mon 12-Sep-16 08:01:15

Boden Richmond trousers. If you want a slimmer fit by the ankle then get the long version in the 7/8 ths

AwayAwayAway Mon 12-Sep-16 09:23:15

Ggirl i like those loads! Shame they are cropped or would be perfect.

Babyboyharrison thanks for the Boden suggestion. I've already tried those and they don't fit me at all.

AwayAwayAway Mon 12-Sep-16 16:31:10

I got some other Next trousers online to try at home . Will report back.

ggirl Mon 12-Sep-16 17:00:41

sorry didn't realise they were cropped , they do long ones , as dd's were long

m0therofdragons Mon 12-Sep-16 17:16:37

This is why I live in dresses op.

SorrelForbes Mon 12-Sep-16 17:18:12

Have you tried the Boden Chelsea Turn Ups? I found them looser on the thigh than the Richmond.

minipie Mon 12-Sep-16 17:20:33

White Stuff - they don't often do work suitable trousers but when they do, I find they fit well. Tend to be tweedy rather than black proper though.

fiorentina Mon 12-Sep-16 20:24:45

Surprisingly a while back I got some nice work trousers in H&M and they've been good quality. I am quite fussy to be honest about work clothes and also buy them from
Hobbs, M&S or Jigsaw?

PhyllisWig Mon 12-Sep-16 20:57:54

Was going to say GAP before I read the thread - I have similar measurements and am a 12-14 too. Recently bought some skinny fit navy trousers from there that fit well. I am heafty of thigh and tummy and they are cool so maybe worth trying online?

Also second H&m but I do size up there. Maybe Banana Republic?

PhyllisWig Mon 12-Sep-16 20:58:30

I got a 12 in gap btw and they are a touch roomy.

DavidWainwrightsFeet Mon 12-Sep-16 21:05:34

Buy something cheap in GAP (with a voucher) or H&M and make friends with a dry cleaner who does alterations. It will save you hours of pain and frustration in changing rooms looking for the one pair in a thousand which fit straight off the peg.

proudmummyoftwo Mon 12-Sep-16 21:07:58

I got some gorgeous chinos from next. I'm a 14/16 and can fit in both thanks to a slight stretch but I have big thighs and hips and they fit really well

FruitCider Mon 12-Sep-16 21:08:56

I'm exactly the same measurements as you and I'm a size 18 in my uniform trousers!

Anyway. M+S elasticated waist in size 16 are only trousers that fit me. Give those a go!

AwayAwayAway Mon 12-Sep-16 21:09:24

David that's the idea, but atm I'm trying to get close enough for alterations to make a difference.

andadietcoke Mon 12-Sep-16 21:12:54

Next for wide of hip trousers. Sainsbury's have some nice wide leg trousers in their premium range too.

AwayAwayAway Wed 14-Sep-16 16:08:21

Checking back in. Unfortunately none of the Next trousers fit. Also the material was oddly like leggings which didn't feel very work appropriate. I'm going to return them and try Dorothy Perkins and then circle back to Boden. If none of those work I'm giving up and getting fleecy leggings and a few more work dresses for the winter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now