Talk

Advanced search

About to make my first Joules purchase...

(12 Posts)
Whenwillitbeme99 Sun 11-Sep-16 17:29:28

I know Joules gets a pretty bad rep on here but it does seem to be pretty good quality (or maybe I'm just being taken in by the hefty prices confused ) I am looking for a navy parka style coat with hood that is preferably waterproof or at least shower proof. What does everyone think to this one: www.joules.com/Women/New-In/Blisworth/Padded-Jacket/Marine-Navy?id=V_BLISWORTH|MARNAVY will l look like the Michelin Man? grin I'm 31, size 10-12, no kids, jacket is mainly for work which is very casual - walking to bus stop in pouring rain.

LBOCS2 Sun 11-Sep-16 17:34:14

I like Joules and get quite a lot from there (I'm 31 too). I've never loved their coats but it's a shape thing rather than a quality thing for me! Everything else I've had has been good and has washed well.

Don't forget to use the code QUACKERS to get 25% off today.

Nearlyadoctor Sun 11-Sep-16 18:04:07

I quite like Joules generally, except their garish floral prints. I have a couple of coats I do the horse/ ride in which I have had for years and have worn fantastically well.

Much as I like the coat you've linked though, I'm not sure it's waterproof or even showerproof? No mention and is dry clean only.

Nearlyadoctor Sun 11-Sep-16 18:08:17

A bit more money...but you won't beat Barbour for a functional waterproof coat I don't think.
www.barbour.com/uk/categories/womens/waterproof-jackets/barbour-epler-waterproof-breathable-jacket/p/LWB0393NY5110?breadcrumbs=womens&breadcrumbs=womens-waterproofjackets

There is couple a bit cheaper and similar but not so long in the body. They also do free delivery and returns. ( nothing ventured, nothing gained! )

TweedAddict Sun 11-Sep-16 18:13:40

I love joules. Every I've had from there has worn really well, not matter how times I've washed it. They are my go to daily school run clothes. I hate the neon flowers though but other then that I'm in love

Whenwillitbeme99 Sun 11-Sep-16 20:03:33

Thanks Nearlyadoctor hadn't noticed the dry clean only bit, guess it's because of the down feathers so no chance of just bunging it in the washing machine anyway confused I would LOVE a Barbour jacket but sadly it's a little out of my price range and only stretching to the joules prices thanks to the 25% off (thanks LBOCS2)

What does everyone think to this one: www.zara.com/uk/en/-c499002p3647769.html worried it's the same one that all the local schoolgirls are sporting though confused though interestingly it is also down filled and can still be machine washed?
Whatever coat l buy will also need to be used for a week in New York in January smile

LBOCS2 Sun 11-Sep-16 20:32:28

I have the first Barbour under the 'waterproof coats' section and it's great - very warm and completely waterproof. Really good if you have to be out and about in the rain.

Nearlyadoctor Sun 11-Sep-16 20:33:35

No good for this year obviously, but keep an eye on the Barbour website at sale times. I bought a new one back in May/June which was reduced from £229 down to £100, absolute bargain.

dudsville Sun 11-Sep-16 20:55:56

All of my blazers are from there and I love those!

WhooooAmI24601 Sun 11-Sep-16 20:56:45

I prefer Barbour to Joules, but the DCs have several bits from Joules which have lasted far, far longer than anything else they've owned. The quality is faultless.

John Lewis always do really good deals on Barbour coats in their winter sales - last year I got a beautiful cream coat which was only £70 down from £150.

Judydreamsofhorses Sun 11-Sep-16 21:06:38

I just clicked through that link and wondered about this one - I am also in need of a waterproof, cosy parka type thing.

www.joules.com/Women/New-In/Stormaway/Waterproof-Coat/Marine-Navy?id=V_STORMAWAY|MARNAVY

What is sizing like? I'm a 10/12.

Blowninonabreeze Sun 11-Sep-16 21:14:20

I like the didriksons parkas.They aren't so ubiquitous as the joules ones....

I have this one Super warm. completely waterproof and gets lots of compliments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now