Talk

Advanced search

The perfect Trenchcoat?

(7 Posts)
WhiteHairReally Sun 11-Sep-16 16:51:19

Just that really. For Autumn/Spring 'pulled together, smart but copes with chill and wet wear'.

I don't wear trousers but jackets/cardigans dresses/skirts from 'on the knee' to mid shin, so length is an issue too. All those lovely macs that look so dashing with a pair of skinnies/7/8/perfectly tailored trousers aren't 'it'.
I'm early 50s 5'8 size 12, and ample of nork but the same measurement bust and hip with a waist that's 8" smaller.

Summer (Cool) colouring, so wear navy,grey and some dark teal as staples in the cooler months.

I think I need a single breasted, fitted and belted longer trench coat but in navy this garment will look like a 1950s school gaberdine mac and even then I haven't found it.

This would be an 'investment piece' so the budget might be £250 or so.

It pains me to say this but I have to go to places where they 'take your coat' ( and then check the label and judge you) so my TU Mac of seven years ago probably needs replacing.

I'd be very grateful for any good ideas of where and what to look for.

PNGirl Sun 11-Sep-16 17:07:13

It's not a trench exactly but my first thoughy was Whistles:

www.whistles.com/women/clothing/coats-jackets/evangeline-belted-long-coat-23084.html?dwvar_evangeline-belted-long-coat-23084_color=Navy#start=1

I would start with places that sell expensive high street workwear so LK Bennett, Banana Republic, Jigsaw, Jaeger, even Ted Baker.

WhiteHairReally Sun 11-Sep-16 18:24:27

Thanks for the Whistles ref PNGirl. The shape is just right ( on a 5'11" size 8 model anyway!) but as you imply, it's a bit 'coaty'.

You've focused me a bit. I was thinking Aquascutum ( or were they a victim of 2008 fallout?) or worryingly, Burberry, although I suspect the budget would have to stretch much more.

PNGirl Sun 11-Sep-16 18:50:54

Aquascutum did appear to go under but they definitely have a website and new collection. Maybe they were bought out and saved? Anyway, they're nearly as expensive as Burberry at about £600 so I didn't mention them. I do have a beautiful mac from them and a black blazer from the days they had outlet stores - they're probably worth the cash.

WhiteHairReally Sun 11-Sep-16 18:53:39

Yes, outlet stores are my friend for this sort of 'below the high fashion radar' purchase.

fruitboxjury Sun 11-Sep-16 18:54:49

Reiss always have beautiful trench coats

phoolani Mon 12-Sep-16 00:38:44

Over budget and the wrong colour, but I have this
www.allsaints.com/women/coats/allsaints-emil-mac/?colour=4355&category=117 And it is amazing. Goes with everything, looks smart but modern. This may be more your colour at least:
www.allsaints.com/women/coats/allsaints-kiana-mac/?colour=3969&category=117

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now