Talk

Advanced search

ok so i am a total sheep....

(19 Posts)
princessconsuelabannahammock Sun 11-Sep-16 09:27:42

I bought the hush ruched skirt in black and I NEVER wear skirts or dresses. I look like a scruffy 90s student most of the time. I love in jeans and gillets and I would like this to change. So I bought the skirt!

I am a chubby size 16 with a big mum tum and short of leg that are rather ahem shapely. The skirt sits just above the knee on me. Now can any of you s&b stylistas help me make it into a complete outfit... Please.

I have also bought the joules capability poncho in burgundy which will look fab I think.

I was thinking of a slouch jumper - I am losing weight so my waist is slowly emerging and I am very busty so v necks look better in me. I can't wear black and I am blonde with fair skin. Please help as I am fed up of looking like I can't be bothered to make an effort.

princessconsuelabannahammock Sun 11-Sep-16 21:56:55

Hopeful bump for the evening crowd. Truly very unstylish and in need of your help!

FeedMeAndTellMeImPretty Sun 11-Sep-16 22:12:42

Another sheep here! I also bought it when I read how amazing it was for all shapes and sizes. Much like you, I'm a 16 and was pleasantly surprised that the XL fits!

I put it on with some opaque tights and black boots but couldn't find anything to wear on the top with it. I went out and bought a couple of oversized men's jumpers for a slouchy casual look. I'm sure there must be a nicer way of wearing it.

Following to hijack your advice smile

Judydreamsofhorses Sun 11-Sep-16 22:16:57

I bought the skirt in both black and wine, and have worn them with striped tops, black opaques and trainers (adidas Gazelles or Stan Smiths) so far, plus a denim jacket. I imagine wearing them with jumpers and flat Chelsea boots as it gets cooler, but see the skirt as a pretty fail safe basic that will work with most things. Why not haul out a few tops and try them on with it?

Lj8893 Sun 11-Sep-16 22:19:26

What is this skirt? I need to see!

princessconsuelabannahammock Sun 11-Sep-16 22:22:45

Thanks feedme, thought I was all alone then. Glad I am not the only one having trouble making it into a complete outfit. Check out the capability poncho - it's a step up from my standard gillet that I wear from oct to may! I love something I can just sling on over the top and head out the door looking relatively smart whilst being really warm.

Mens slouchy jumper sounds fab. Now what else.... ???

Judydreamsofhorses Sun 11-Sep-16 22:23:43

www.hush-uk.com/womenswear/daywear/skirts/modal_ruched_skirt_1_burgundy.htm

princessconsuelabannahammock Sun 11-Sep-16 22:25:16

I have half a wardrobe of size 14s that are just too tight still - currently dieting and a size 15! So hoping I have a gem or two there. Need to have a trying on sess.

Clickncollect Mon 12-Sep-16 06:15:13

I ordered my ruched skirt on Saturday in both black and burgundy based on all the MN reviews so I am currently eagerly awaiting its arrival! I also ordered this jumper from M&S in the grey and navy and my intention is to wear the skirt/jumper with black plaques and ankle boots (got some fab boots in the LK Bennett sale about a year ago for £95).

www.marksandspencer.com/curve-hem-jumper/p/p22465268?image=SD_01_T38_6568_KU_X_EC_90&color=SILVERGREY&prevPage=plp

I LOVE the look of the joules poncho so I think that could be my next purchase - thanks! I'm currently 13 weeks post partum so am desperate to start feeling nice again and need clothes that will hide my c section apron overhang!

Sugarandsalt Mon 12-Sep-16 06:35:30

I have read so many amazing reviews of this skirt so I went to John Lewis to try it yesterday. I think I'm the only person on the planet that it doesn't suit! I'm a 12-14 pear and tried a L and XL. Neither did anything for my rather ample thighs and bum I'm afraid!

RockyBird Mon 12-Sep-16 06:55:03

I think it looks cheap, def not £45 worth. It's a bit like the skirts the schoolgirls round here wear that they can haul up to an indecent length the minute they are out of the house.

I like how the black one is teamed with a mumsnet scarf on the website grin

princessconsuelabannahammock Mon 12-Sep-16 06:55:22

Click - be aware it's massive I bought the M-L . I am a solid 16 yet I could have easily worn it whilst 9 months pregnant. I have sent mine back and ordered the S-M. Hoping that won't be too small on my norks. Joules have just had a 25% off code but it ended yesterday, might be worth checking to see if they extend it.

Love that ms jumper but wrong shape for me sadly.

Sugar and salt- hubby wasn't too keen on it either for the same reason - on me! but I have massive parsnip legs anyway and am sick of skinny jeans.

princessconsuelabannahammock Mon 12-Sep-16 06:58:21

I used the £10 referral code in here and the fabric is cheaply stretchy stuff but it looks better on! I am hoping to wear it all the time as for me it's a lot for what it is. Primark / charity shop budget usually but this is a reward for losing weight.

ArieltheMermaid1720 Mon 12-Sep-16 08:10:18

I know what you mean Sugarandsalt. It really didn't suit me either. Too short and really unflattering to my chunky thighs. Tried the Baukjen one which is a good bit longer but really hated the thin fabric. I have a non Ruched Topshop tube skirt which I love, it's the right length and thickness so will stick with it.

Sugarandsalt Mon 12-Sep-16 08:33:11

I got a lovely black ponte tube skirt in the white company sale early this year- it's nice thick material, knee length with just a little ruching. I've lost 2 stone since buying it so it's a little loose now- really hoping they do a similar version this year.

MsGee Mon 12-Sep-16 09:26:46

I am going to be totally sheep and buy the skirt too. I am normally a (with a squash and a squeeze) size 12, should I get the Medium or the Small?

Judydreamsofhorses Mon 12-Sep-16 09:31:44

Mrs Gee, get the M - I'm a 10/12 and think the S would have been too neat on the hips, whereas the M is perfect.

MsGee Mon 12-Sep-16 10:55:36

Thanks!

Clickncollect Wed 14-Sep-16 23:12:19

So my ruched skirts in both black and burgundy arrived today and I am thrilled with them. I love the sunny weather but I am
(almost) looking forward to the colder weather so I can wear the skirts with black tights and boots.
Incidentally, the M&S jumpers I mentioned in my previous post are going back. Didn't flatter me at all and covered everything in fluff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now