Regular swimming - am i going to ruin my hair and skin?

(11 Posts)
BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sat 10-Sep-16 15:20:20

Currently swimming three times a week x 20 minutes.
I wet my hair beforehand, wear a cap and wash and condition it afterwards. It's naturally grey (quite a nice grey) but recently it's looking more ashy blonde. Could that be the chlorine?

Pisssssedofff Sat 10-Sep-16 15:24:27

Yes basically, my cousin just swam the English Channel, her skin and hair suffered terribly ... I know that's extreme but it doesn't go hand in hand training in the water and looking good.

Toffeelatteplease Sat 10-Sep-16 15:32:06

not at all!!!

I don't have any issues with skin either way so can't comment on that but hair is another matter. DD and I both swim. We found we needed to change shampoo and conditioner. Silicone free is awesome but wasn't cutting the mustard for swimming. after some experimentation we both settled on tresemme silky smooth shampoo and conditioner.

the colour change could well been the chlorine I think my DSis used some colour protect stuff, but not sure what..

ZaraW Sat 10-Sep-16 15:58:07

Depends I have curly hair which is dry. Despite putting conditioner on my hair and using a swimming cap the chlorine wrecked my hair. I now run and cycle.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sat 10-Sep-16 16:46:31

I've just spent an hour with clingfilmed hair letting a purple toner do its magic ,and hair looks a better colour

Shopgirl1 Sat 10-Sep-16 18:52:04

I swim 4-5 times a week, use Boots swim shampoo, my hair is fine, no issue with chlorine. Skin just needs good moisturiser.

DameDoom Sat 10-Sep-16 18:56:28

Dampen your hair and apply Philip Kingsley swim cap conditioner before you get in the pool. A light facial serum or oil like Elemis bliss capsules will sort out any skin dryness and you'll be good to go. Toned from all the swimming with great hair and skin.

I have curly hair, I put conditioner (silicone free) on my hair and then a swim cap on top of that, seems to be fine. I very rarely use shampoo (maybe once a month) and when I do it's SLS free.

MyNewHobbyIsGin Sat 10-Sep-16 21:04:26

A hairdresser once told me to make sure to put shampoo straight onto hair from the pool -ie don't let water from the shower run through it first in order to better get the chorine out.

I have no idea if this method gets more chlorine out than rinsing out hair in the shower before shampooing or not. He was a bit of a shit hairdresser so could be bollocks grin

CMOTDibbler Sat 10-Sep-16 21:20:20

I have naturally white/grey hair too and swim a lot. I use the Boots Swim + Gym 3 in 1 and I don't have any problems with it discolouring or drying out. I do find it a bit drying on my skin, but just try to remember to take moisturiser with me, and am trying the new E45 spray atm to see if that works as a quick, not sticky after swim body moisturiser

travailtotravel Sat 10-Sep-16 21:44:15

I found the same as toffeelatte - bye bye silicone free, hello tresemme. Skin I found cleansing properly was the biggest issue to condition - don't scrimp on time or product - more than moisture. But it is a bit better now I apply Cetaphil Moisture Cream before (not the lotion) - the cream is quite rich and a little bit waterproofing but not harmful at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now