Talk

Advanced search

Best primer

(36 Posts)
wowfudge Fri 09-Sep-16 21:30:43

I've never used a primer, but have read lots of threads recently where people say how great it is.

So, can you recommend me a primer please? I'm in my 40s and my skin is prone to dryness although I do have a bit of an oily t zone by the end of the day.

wowfudge Sat 10-Sep-16 09:04:45

Bump!

IncidentalAnarchist Sat 10-Sep-16 09:06:38

I use benefit porefessional. They also do a matte rescue one and I mix the two together. But porefessional is gorgeous

LemonRedwood Sat 10-Sep-16 09:09:15

I heard good things about W7 being a great substitute for more expensive brands. I've just ordered their primer off Amazon. Will report back once it arrives.

wowfudge Sat 10-Sep-16 09:19:21

Thank you both. There was a thread somewhere on MN just the other day, but I can't find it now.

chipsandpeas Sat 10-Sep-16 18:51:59

porefessional imo is the best for what you want
you can use it all over but i use it in the areas that i feel i need it so t zone and chin then use usually a highlightening/illuminating one like benefit that gal on my cheeks

plus you can use it below other primers

MoonlightMojitos Sat 10-Sep-16 22:38:31

Smash box... it's the only primer I've ever use so don't have much to compare with but it does the job very well. I first used it years ago when I was a bridesmaid to keep make up in place all day and have never looked back!

wowfudge Sat 10-Sep-16 23:15:38

I bought a colourless Rimmel one. Impressed by how much difference it made. Wearing several different primers sounds complicated - I just want a quick fix.

LemonRedwood Tue 13-Sep-16 07:19:19

Reporting back on the W7:

I bought the Prime Magic Camera Ready, which is also colourless. When I put it on it didn't look like it had made any difference but it made a big difference once I'd put foundation on. Pores minimised and nice smooth finish. Bit of a bargain for £3 something I think.

I also bough w7's Porefection but haven't tried that yet.

Olay's pore minimising CC cream is still going to be included in my collection though because while I don't think the results under make-up were quite as long-lasting as the W7, it is something you can wear by itself. The pre- minimising effect is immediate and it has a tint so I don't need to put foundation on the top unless I'm planning on doing a full face of make up anyway.

MoonlightMedicine Tue 13-Sep-16 07:21:27

Another recommendation for benefit Porefessional. Even my dh noticed the difference, and that's saying something!!

LemonRedwood Tue 13-Sep-16 07:21:34

*pore minimising (no idea what pre- minimising is!)

wowfudge Tue 13-Sep-16 07:23:38

I bought the Rimmel one after finding recommendations on another thread. It makes a huge difference under foundation. I didn't have to use concealer on the redness in my cheeks so it saved me quite a bit of time too.

On the downside, I have had a few spots - could be hormones though so I'm going to persist.

Cheesymonster Tue 13-Sep-16 08:12:24

I use the w7 one up thread.

Which Rimmel one did you buy OP?

wowfudge Tue 13-Sep-16 11:35:59

Rimmel Fix and Perfect Pro 002. It's colourless.

MrsMarigold Tue 13-Sep-16 11:45:59

I've tried a few but they just bring me put in spots. My skin is quite dry. Just don't use lancane someone here said it is the same as smashbox, it isn't. My mum uses smashbox and looks lovely but it just didn't agree with me.

SharonBottsPoundOfGrapes Tue 13-Sep-16 12:06:20

I use porefessional when getting properly made up but for everyday use I wear This Works In Transit. So far I've received two samples from my beauty subscription and will definitely buy it when it runs out. Since using it I've had compliment after compliment. It's not tinted and can be used as a moisturiser, mask and primer. My skin looks so fresh at the moment. I'm nearly 38. I need all the help I can get. 😂

wowfudge Tue 13-Sep-16 12:09:24

I'm older: why did I not use it before?

SharonBottsPoundOfGrapes Tue 13-Sep-16 12:25:20

I don't know about you but it's only in the past decade it's become a noticeable thing.it tended to be a thing for actors. I just used to shower, moisturise (with whatever was to hand like my mums oil of ulay or baby lotion etc ) slap on some cheap foundation and overdo the eyeliner, mascara and lipgloss and I was ready to go. I still don't know how to put eyeshadow on properly if I'm honest. Now priming, fake lashes and contouring is the norm. My sister is 28. She works for MAC. She is beautiful. Stunning in fact. But when she's made up she looks older than me. grin

SharonBottsPoundOfGrapes Tue 13-Sep-16 12:26:34

Oh and W7 is fab. I bought some but it got nicked.

Cheesymonster Tue 13-Sep-16 12:36:04

Thanks OP, I thought they'd discontinued that one but it turns out they discontinued the stay matte one.

wowfudge Tue 13-Sep-16 19:56:58

When I have time for contouring and fake lashes every day, I'll be retired! But you are right, these products just didn't exist. Clarins Beauty Flash Balm was around donkeys years ago, but I don't find it works quite like the primer I just bought.

MoonlightMedicine Wed 14-Sep-16 07:08:13

Where are people getting W7 products from? Just looking on their website and wondering if they are stocked on the high street.

Ledkr Wed 14-Sep-16 07:21:21

Clarins do a good one but its dear, I had free samples

MoonlightMedicine Wed 14-Sep-16 07:29:43

Ignore me. I just found it on amazon, everything is around half the retail price on there so I've just had a bit of a splurge!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 14-Sep-16 07:34:32

I use Lanacane anti chaff- the ingredients are the same as Smashbox. Make sure it's the right lanacane as there are two.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now