Talk

Advanced search

Over the knee boots - out of style for 2016??

(13 Posts)
Serenite Fri 09-Sep-16 21:07:03

I've bought some kurt Geiger black over the knee boots.
They have a block heel 80mm. I'm usually a 39.5 (6.5) so I ordered the 6 and 7. The 7 went on slightly easier and were a bit higher on my knee so I kept them. I love them, never had otk boots before but I'm wondering am I late to the party with them? I thought I could wear them with skinny jeans, leather leggings (??) dresses. I wear a lot of dresses / skirts but most of them are knee or midi length so maybe not the right length.
What's everyone's opinion on these, are they out of date, especially since I'm reading on s&b that skinnies are on the way out.
They were expensive and I'm out of time for returning them...hoping I've not made an expensive mistake.
Also will they start to get slouchy and fall down the more you wear them, maybe I should have kept the really tight ones but there's no way if have gotten leggings let alone skinny jeans under them and they were shorter on the leg.
Has anyone bought these this year or planning to wear them? I shop nearly always online so don't really know what's in the shops but I've not seen much talk of otk boots on s&b this year.

CointreauVersial Fri 09-Sep-16 22:14:33

Hmm....watching with interest. Mine are three years old, but I was hoping to dig them out again this winter.

Mine are flat (don't do heels), in grey suede. They don't fall down; the suede helps them "cling", I guess.

botemp Fri 09-Sep-16 22:52:01

They were a bit over in the last few years if you want to think of it in those terms and are making a bit of a comeback now.

I would say it's a 'dated' look to wear them over jeans/thick leggings. Either wear them slouchy barely covering the knee which is sort of the 'new' in between look for knee length boots atm or wear them with dresses/skirts with a very slim piece of flesh on display or a lower hem that covers them completely. The latter only really works very well with if your boots are a non traditional colour imo. There was also a bit of an emerging trend at the tail end of last winter called 'lampshading' which involved wearing oversized sweaters and sweatshirts as dresses with otk boots. Funnily enough it's a trend difficult to pull off if you're tall for once grin.

There was an article about otk boots in The Guardian not too long ago.

EnidButton Fri 09-Sep-16 23:21:34

They're everywhere in the new A/W stock. I've never had any because I've no idea what to wear them with without looking a bit Pretty Woman.

EnidButton Fri 09-Sep-16 23:24:18

From the Guardian article Their purpose is to allow you to wear a skirt without tights.

Well that's me out then. I will not be separated from my opaques from September onwards. grin

rhodes2015 Fri 09-Sep-16 23:28:41

I hope they're still in, I had some Karen millen black otk boots last year with a mid heel and an almond toe, when I first had them I thought "these were a mistake"! But I ended up living in them all winter and am looking forward to wearing them again!
Mine didn't go slouchy. I tend to wear mine over jeggings or thick ponte leggings but I would love a dress to go with them but like previous poster said, feel a bit "pretty woman" in them but love the look on other people! X

PNGirl Sat 10-Sep-16 10:46:53

I like them with skinnies and a long swishy cardigan. I have some black leather ones which have a dark pewter zip up each side.

CaroleService Sat 10-Sep-16 13:21:17

I thought thigh high was 'in' this fall?

I must say, even the high fashion sites are still awash with skinnies so I doubt they'll vanish any time soon. And most people look like lampshades in wide leg crops ...

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 10-Sep-16 14:21:09

I would flipping love some except:
I can't wear heels
I would have to be able to drive without wrecking the back of them
I have very pointy ankle bones that get irritated by zips
I would dream of looking like Julia Roberts a la Pretty Woman.
The reality is I'd look like Shirley Carte a la Eastenders blush

AlfrescoBalconyWanker Sat 10-Sep-16 14:23:23

Taylor Swift wore them for NYFW. Red velvet ones. A tad too Santa like for me.

olderthanyouthink Sat 10-Sep-16 15:07:14

Oh no, I hope not, I really want a pair or 2 or 3... Plus loads of shops have come out with them this year.

And I think I shall die in my skinnies.

botemp Sun 11-Sep-16 11:53:33

The Guardian did another piece on OTK boots this weekend, supposedly they are set to be the shoe of the decade.

Serenite Sun 11-Sep-16 12:45:47

Mine are over the knee not the thigh high ones that seem to be photographed in the press/blogs. I love the ones I bought. I am not directed by fashion generally (hard not to be entirely) so am content about buying these, the posts are interesting. Am looking forward to wearing them but will need to have my big girl pants on too to carry them off until I get used to them!! Any thoughts on what people are planning to wear / style them with. What about the coated leggings, too much shine?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now