Does bronzer give you spots? And primer?

(6 Posts)
user1471456822 Fri 09-Sep-16 17:51:52

Hi all

(insert apology for shit username)

I've had adult acne (I'm 33) but it's now under control and I want to keep it that way.

Following the advice of Dr Sam Bunting, I'm using dermablend make-up. But I don't like the setting powder so have been using a bit of bronzing powder to set it instead. Will this block my pores?

Also - I wondered about using primer but this basically works by filling in your pores doesn't it? So is it inherently pore-blocking?

Very grateful for any advice! Thank you!

NattyGolfJerkin Fri 09-Sep-16 18:01:19

Unfortunately, IME it isn't as simple as 'yes or no'. It depends on the formulation of the bronzer, it depends on your own sensitivity to the ingredients in the bronzer or the primer and it also depends on your cleansing routine.

As for the primer causing acne, it depends on what you are using the primer for, there are lots of different primers for lots of different 'issues'/outcomes - mattifying, adding glow, filling pores, moisturisation, SPF, etc. There are also numerous formulations of primer, I would stick to water based formulations if you have acne prone skin (avoid silicone type ones). It is also suggested that you use a foundation with the same type of formulation as your primer (eg water based foundation with water based primer) to give the best finish.

user1471456822 Fri 09-Sep-16 18:19:39

That's very helpful, Natty! Yes, I had my suspicions about silicon based primers!

Carpaccio Fri 09-Sep-16 18:20:45

You'll want to look for products that are non-comedogenic.

However, you can react (mild allergic reaction) to ingredients and the reaction will be something that looks like spots, even though they aren't "proper" spots.

I get horrible reactions (itching, red spots, sore lumps under the skin) from bismuth oxychloride, commonly found in mineral makeup and powders. I have heard this from many other people so I think it is fairly common to react to.

I have never experienced issues with primers specifically causing me spots and breakouts. Just because they are pore minimising (by filling the pores), doesn't mean that they automatically cause issues.

Some people have issues with silicone primers, so you might want to avoid them. I think the Laura Mercier Mineral primer is silicone-free, so you might be able to get a sample of it to test it out from a LM counter.

I have acne prone skin, and I really like the Clinique Anti-Blemish BB cream and MAC Mineralize skin finish natural and Mac Pressed Select Sheer powders. I liked these two powders with Dermablend when I used it.
I did get spots from a Chanel bronzer, but have not had any other issues with other Chanel powders or any of their other makeup products. Other bronzers seem fine - I have used Guerlain and Mac for years without any issues.

user1471456822 Fri 09-Sep-16 18:26:39

Thanks Carpaccio! Yes, it's good to note I'm not the only person who used different powders with the dermablend foundation ie not the setting powder they recommend.

HappenstanceMarmite Fri 09-Sep-16 18:29:35

Any water based primers to recommend please? Are they all high end price?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now