Sewing, alterations and dressmaking

(3 Posts)
Mumstudentbum Fri 09-Sep-16 17:12:32

I currently own a fantastic sewing machine but feel i am not making good use of it sat gathering dust as I only use it for sewing cushions or easy stuff.

I am a funny shape and taking inspiration from the how to look expensive thread I wan to learn how to alter clothing, take up hems etc. Has anyone got any recommendations for sewing bibles? A classic book which can teach you the basics plus a little about making basic things yourself?

EmpressTomatoKetchup Fri 09-Sep-16 18:54:51

You might want this posted in arts and crafts www.mumsnet.com/Talk/arts_and_crafts

I have Vogue Sewing which is good for alterations. www.amazon.co.uk/Vogue-Sewing-revised-updated/dp/1933027002/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1473443554&sr=1-2&keywords=vogue+sewing+patterns

I like the Merchnat and Mills books, there is a beginners one I think, I have the workbook which comes with some nice simple patterns.
www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Merchnat+and+mills

The Colette Sewing handbook is also good for beginners and comes with patterns, although I decided the were not my style after getting it.
www.amazon.co.uk/Colette-Sewing-Handbook-Fundamentals-Experience/dp/1440215456/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1473443643&sr=1-1&keywords=colette+sewing+handbook

niminypiminy Fri 09-Sep-16 19:28:40

This is good: Beginners Guide to Dressmaking

This is also good: Love at first stitch

Online courses here

Really lovely simple patterns: The Makers Atelier

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now