Talk

Advanced search

Work clothes please

(17 Posts)
OnlyHereForTheCamping Fri 09-Sep-16 07:53:10

Help! I returned to work supposedly for 3 months now nearly a year later I need more that the 2 pairs of trews and various tops.

I am 45, size 12 on a good day, love colour, cannot wear black or beige. Shirt dresses make me look like a barrel as i have no waist. I like minimal and cannot do frills or flounces but I would like to look a bit edgy/cool.

Tia

BurningGubbins Fri 09-Sep-16 09:42:01

Watching with interest - I'm back to work in a few weeks and would like to show up looking a bit cool and put together. Which would be a bit different from my current look... Which shops to go to though? Boden etc is definitely not me.

OnlyHereForTheCamping Fri 09-Sep-16 10:58:56

Some Boden stuff is great for work though. No one has to know it from Boden!

CaitAgusMadra Fri 09-Sep-16 12:44:23

I work in a smart casual office with some occasions when I need to be formal.

I wear the following 3 kinds of outfits:

Slim cut trousers (ankle grazers or cropped in summer) with a blouse or shirt tucked in.

Pencil skirt with silk t-shirt, blouse or shirt or merino knit in winter

Shift or fitted jersey dresses (with sleeves)

I find that good shoes (flat or heels) can make a big difference to your look.

Shops I like:
Zara - trousers and occasionally for tops
H&M - trousers, cotton cropped cardigans
Uniqlo - basic tops and knits, cardigan jackets (have in 3 colours)
Hobbs - dresses
M&S - skirts, sometimes trousers
Carvela - shoes
COS - tops and knitwear

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Fri 09-Sep-16 13:06:42

I'm with Cait! I love the slim fitting ankle grazer trousers, they look smart and stylish with heels or flats and look much smarter than trousers that are just that bit too long or short (mine are always a bit too long!)

Gap do nice ones, they have patterned ones which would look nice with a smart top. My preference is a basic white t shirt with a casual blazer.

OnlyHereForTheCamping Fri 09-Sep-16 14:49:06

Thanks, will take myself to Zara .

Summer23 Fri 09-Sep-16 16:40:15

Cait can you link the cardigan jackets you recommend please?

Ilovewillow Fri 09-Sep-16 16:47:24

Gap stretch trousers are great with shirt tucked in it t shirt and a jersey blazer. Zara are good for work clothes! For a bigger budget or some key pieces with edge I love Whistles or Me and Em, Hush are good too!

CwtchMeQuick Fri 09-Sep-16 16:54:42

I really like next for slim cut trousers and Dorothy Perkins for blouses and cardigans

CaitAgusMadra Fri 09-Sep-16 18:13:44

Summer sorry the jackets seem to be out of stock. They may be a summer only item - lots of pictures if you Google uniqlo Cardigan jacket.

this jacket looks very very similar albeit perhaps slightly longer (and more expensive!)

Love these jackets. They're smarter than a cardi but so do comfy and not restrictive at all like some Blazers

Summer23 Fri 09-Sep-16 19:20:20

Thanks Cait. I googled them and they do look really nice. I couldn't get the link to work but will have a look on uniqlo's website - not ordered from there before. Always good to get tips!

NewBallsPlease00 Fri 09-Sep-16 19:25:07

Zara
Kin by john Lewis
Cos
Whistles

Whatthequack Fri 09-Sep-16 19:35:07

I'm back on Monday. So far I have...

Hush modal ruched skirt in black and burgundy

Polo neck tops in greys/black from h&m

Black pencil skirt one tailored from next and two jersey ones from h&m

Short plain Cardigans from h&m in a variety of colours

A black blouse body suit from topshop (to go with pencil skirts)

Mustard crew neck jumper from m&s

And a few other tops.

To be honest I usually stick to neutral and dark colours when it comes to clothing and add colour via my lipstick and nails.

Whatthequack Fri 09-Sep-16 19:36:20

I forgot to mention have a few jersey Blazers from Topshop.

Believeitornot Fri 09-Sep-16 19:57:02

The best cardigans I've had were from boden. Lovely fit, wash well and look brilliant.

Also a few fitted dresses from baukjen.

Plus pencil trousers from h&m (forever sold out), a couple of pencil skirts and some Blazers from Zara and plain white tops/shirts also from h&m.

SuperPug Sun 11-Sep-16 17:28:41

Also watching with interest...
I spent several hours walking around our local shopping centre today, coming back with two tops.
I'd be interested if anyone has found decent mid price range shops for size 12-14 (14 on top) women. Really disappointed in Next and M&S which are normally my go to places. Seems like I'm looking for similar stuff to the op.

sullivan27 Mon 30-Jan-17 11:13:23

Take a look at tops at Colcouture.com. They have soft jersey tops with cotton collars so they look smart but they're really comfy. Good at at hiding tummies too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now