Supportive footwear for all year walking - any recommendations please?

(15 Posts)
Tia4 Thu 08-Sep-16 07:54:22

I am having bother with my ankles due to a health problem but still like to walk a couple of miles round our local roads every day if possible. I am wearing flats with orthotics (as trendy as I can find smile) but, now that I feel able to do a bit more, I need shoes which will really support and protect my ankles. I'm thinking something along the line of trainer type shoes rather than proper walking shoes so that I can wear them during Spring and Summer too. Hope you can help!

DoItTooJulia Thu 08-Sep-16 07:56:51

I wear merrils for this. They're like a walking boot but lighter. Or is that still to walking shoe like?
like this but there are lots of different ones

specialsubject Thu 08-Sep-16 09:42:38

Proper walking shoes work in spring and summer too. Go to a real outdoor shop and if you are a size 7 or more, look at the mens ranges. Better and cheaper.

Tia4 Thu 08-Sep-16 09:42:56

No they're great, thanks! I do think I need to feel the weight of them and I'd prefer a light colour but the style looks very supportive smile

Tia4 Thu 08-Sep-16 09:45:29

Yes I will get advice from staff in a proper outdoor shop. I am a 6 but great idea for checking the men's size 7+ to others!

Tia4 Thu 08-Sep-16 09:46:24

Disgraceful that they're cheaper though!

FrustratedFrugal Thu 08-Sep-16 12:54:21

I walk a lot and I got brilliant footwear from an outdoor shop. Everyone has different feet so trying on lots of makes is essential but I've found fantastic proper walking shoes from Salomon, with and without ankle support. My top tip is to buy them in the afternoon after having walked around a bit before, wearing socks that you will wear with them.

Tia4 Thu 08-Sep-16 14:56:43

To try them in the afternoon is another very useful tip, thanks so much! Hadn't thought about socks either blush

Tia4 Fri 09-Sep-16 19:18:37

Before I go shopping tomorrow I just wonder whether anyone does actually have weak ankles needing proper support and, if so, have you needed trainers/boots which finish above the ankle or does an ordinary high top trainer seem to be enough?

FrustratedFrugal Fri 09-Sep-16 19:52:48

I don't have weak ankles but I still wear taller walking boots - this type - on longer walks and they are amazingly comfortable and light and the extra support really helps. I don't know what they will feel like on you but my knees have stopped hurting after I started paying attention to my footwear.

I walked around the store for a good 10 min before deciding. They have been fab. White NB and Reebok walking trainers are also worth a look if you are looking for a lighter summer shoe.

FrustratedFrugal Fri 09-Sep-16 19:54:34

Sorry meant walking shoes - the ones I linked to feel more like high tops.

Toffeelatteplease Fri 09-Sep-16 19:59:10

have a whole family with dodgy ankles.

walking boots are ok ( they mostly do for me), but if you want proper support you need a stiff leather boot like kickers kick hi or Dr Martens (and physiotherapy grin).

Fitzsimmons Fri 09-Sep-16 20:02:52

I have one week ankle thanks to a lot of sprains when I was a hockey playing teenager. I fell walk and have been using the same pair of Meindl walking boots for five years now and they give great ankle support. They are expensive but five years on they are like new, and that's with walking a few hundred miles in five years, through bogs and streams. Day to day I have a pair of Merrils which are really comfy, and a pair of keen sandals for the summer which have also held up well.

bingohandjob Sat 10-Sep-16 00:18:47

Merrell or Ecco. Worth signing up for Sportpursuit emails as I've got great deals on Ecco shoes via their site but but quick & check delivery times. I wear Ecco "walking trainers", sturdy, ugly, waterproof, super comfy for a three mile daily walk. Still going strong three years on and I've given them a, battering.

Tia4 Sat 10-Sep-16 08:57:45

Ooh this is brilliant to wake up to! I'll check these brands out while I have my coffees. I do carry out strengthening exercises but I'll get some more advice about that on the health thread. Thanks so much to all of you - I hope to have some by the end of the weekend smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now