Talk

Advanced search

Leather leggings, yay or nay?

(7 Posts)
JanetStWalker Mon 05-Sep-16 20:10:05

Are they still a thing or have they been relegated to the pile marked naff?

A couple of years ago there was a lot of talk of them on here and I can't remember for the life of me the ones that were being raved about, I want to say Helmut Lang but not sure confused They need to be long of leg, soft but not bag out to the point of full nappy territory.

Then there's the washing issue, I assume you do, can't think of much worse than a sweaty leather crotch! shock Do you bung them in the machine willy nilly, handwash them with love or hand 'em over to the dry cleaner and hope for the best?

It's all so complicated and reminding me precisely why I bottled it last time and went for a pair of cheapy, stretch coated jobbies from New Look that are still going strong btw.

Hopefully Mon 05-Sep-16 20:47:27

It's a yay from me. I think they are well past the 'edgy, slightly rebellious' stage and well into the 'classic that no one will bat an eye at' era. Which means you'll probably get another 4-5 years out of a pair before you start to feel a bit out of date. FWIW, I am intending to buy a pair imminently, as my last pair (now too big) have been worn 2-3 times a week for the past four years, so i don't see me suddenly abandoning them completely.

I actually did wash my last pair in the machine a couple of times, with no ill effects, but only once they were a few years old and I didn't mind so much. In between they got lots of airings and a few trips to the dry cleaners.

notagiraffe Mon 05-Sep-16 20:49:32

Normally I think wear whatever you want but I'd only wear leather leggings if I was rake thin with very long legs. If you are, do it. If you have carthorse legs like mine don't.

Mominatrix Mon 05-Sep-16 20:55:35

Yes from me too. They are so comfortable and perfect for the winter weather here. I am quite a few inches from being long of limb, but don't think they are not flattering on me - on the contrary, They are my go-to thing to wear when I feel my worst.I have been wearing them for the past 7 years, and the trend is still going strong.

JanetStWalker Mon 05-Sep-16 21:02:22

Ooh positive reactions thus far, that's encouraging. I kind of think of them of winter classics as well Hopefully but I don't want them to be the Loose Women on a night out kind of classic, iykwim. What brands are you thinking?

My legs are easily my best feature, long and slender so I'm more than happy to show them off, providing my gut is well and truly covered wink

JanetStWalker Mon 05-Sep-16 22:14:23

Anyone tried these from Hush?

www.hush-uk.com/womenswear/daywear/trousers_jumpsuits/leather_leggings_black.htm#product-reviews

justilou Tue 06-Sep-16 09:21:09

Have you tried them to see if they're comfortable? I remember a comedienne talking about buying a leather skirt because her husband liked them and it was only then she realised "how uncomfortable cows must be".... (But I think they look great!!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now