Talk

Advanced search

Winter Coats - already :( - practical but stylish for DD

(17 Posts)
Minceybits Mon 05-Sep-16 17:12:46

DD (nearly 13, 5'8" and growing, size 8) wants to chose her own winter coat and is refusing the practical but not v trendy Trespass ski jacket options that I would prefer (ie waterproof, warm, easy to clean, not that expensive - damn me with my reasonable requirements). She wants a parka, but the stuff on the market seems to be either too flimsy with not v attractive rat-fur collars or really heavy with fleecy lining and not waterproof (she has a longish walk to bus/school). The best one I have seen is this but it's expensive even in the sale, for what will probably be only one season of wear and I can't tell if it will be weather proof enough...Any and all suggestions welcome!

Oldraver Mon 05-Sep-16 18:14:27

This one doesn't say how waterproof it is. I have seen a Regatta in parka style...will see if I can find it...

Oldraver Mon 05-Sep-16 18:22:06

Regatta

I'm not sure what size kids clothes equate to an 8....is that about 12/13 ?

cansu Mon 05-Sep-16 18:25:18

Next seems to have a few in that kind of style. Boden are lovely for coats though. I have just bought a nice coat from Boden for dd. there is a 20 % off code between now and Thurs. 6b4B if that helps.

Spiderpigspiderpig Mon 05-Sep-16 19:55:07

The north face did a parka once, they might still do. It'll be waterproof & practical

Spiderpigspiderpig Mon 05-Sep-16 19:57:37

m.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.search

BikeRunSki Mon 05-Sep-16 20:04:13

If you Google " Regatta Parka" loads of options come up. I like this one

Roygrace Mon 05-Sep-16 20:05:32

Decathlon do a really nice grey parka pink lining. Trendy and warm

AngelBlue12 Mon 05-Sep-16 20:22:12

Mountain Warehouse do some lovely parkas and they have really good sales too smile

Minceybits Mon 05-Sep-16 20:38:54

Thanks all! Never heard of Regatta - now shopping for me!

Ooh Oldraver the Regatta one is a hit! Just trying to work out the sizing.

Sizing is impossible - Boden 15/16 is equiv of 5'4" height, but at H&M 14+ is 5'6". 12/13 with 24 inch waist is I think equiv of a size 4 - but then always too narrow in shoulders/too short in arms/body. DD prob nearer a 6, but it varies there too. Argh!

Just found this from ASOS but not convinced of weatherproofness.

mysteryfairy Tue 06-Sep-16 07:28:34

If she's 13 I think suggestions for mountain warehouse, regatta etc are probably pointless. If you buy the sort of coat you are talking about the chances are she will never ever wear it. It's less of a waste of money to buy the sort of fashion coat she presumably wants as there's at least a chance she may wear it and get some protection on very cold or wet days.

My DD is 5ft 9 and 14. She had three coats on the go last winter which she started considerably shorter, maybe 5ft 6 - a Hollister puffy long parka, a quilted jacket from Zara and a fisherman raincoat from urban outfitters. As far as I know despite these not being outdoor brands she never really got wet except when she failed to take one of them. The Hollister and Zara ones are now looking decidedly short in the sleeves. I suspect we will end up with a top shop tall one which I'll buy immediately one comes up online probably a bit further into autumn as the tall range can sell out very fast or, second choice, an Asos tall one. If I was shopping for a 5ft 8 teen I'd still be looking at the tall ranges as too short sleeves are so annoying.

whiteonesugar Tue 06-Sep-16 10:42:38

My DSD is 13 and her winter coats are from Zara usually, they do puffer style ones in varying lengths and levels of puff, with or without hood, with or without fur etc

Minceybits Tue 06-Sep-16 18:18:04

mysteryfairy you are wise and very right. She has a denim jacket, a quilted jacket thing from H&M which she loves and now an ASOS parka. Will look out the raincoat option too.I think we are going to be fashion for a while now....(until she hits 38 has kids and dog and has stopped caring about anything but being warm!)

Minceybits Tue 06-Sep-16 18:20:20

Have just told DD about your response and the smile of pleasedness at your words is a sight to behold! grin

Olecranon Tue 06-Sep-16 18:38:06

I have the asos one linked above. I think it will be fairly weatherproof and it is nice and warm.

Minceybits Tue 06-Sep-16 20:27:25

Oh thanks for that Olecran!

Toffeelatteplease Thu 08-Sep-16 06:52:48

if it has the basics (looks good, has a hood) you can always buy a waterproofing spray

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now