Is this 'too old'!!!

(17 Posts)
Youvegottobekidding Mon 05-Sep-16 11:11:16

Been into M&S this morning to return sons P.E t-shir & saw this coat, tried it on & quite liked it, is it too old?

I'm 43 & wear jeans & trainers a lot, I'm Apple shape. The claret colour!

www.marksandspencer.com/loose-fit-zip-closure-coat-with-stormwear/p/p22468511?image=SD_01_T49_3559_KH_X_EC_0&color=KHAKI&prevPage=plp&pdpredirect

MrsPMT Mon 05-Sep-16 11:14:53

These padded coats/jackets only suit the skinny imo, I like how they look but am too curvy. Don't think its an age thing.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 05-Sep-16 11:17:04

I agree with Mrs. You're definitely not too old, but they don't flatter anyone who doesn't have a defined waist. It needs to come back in or they look a bit barrel-y.

I love them but can never find one that does up over my boobs but doesn't balloon underneath and look like I'm hiding a baby bump.

HuckfromScandal Mon 05-Sep-16 11:20:30

Sleeves look too short
I don't think it's particularly flattering on a size 8
I wouldn't - sorry

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Mon 05-Sep-16 12:46:43

If you tried it on and liked what you saw, get it! I'd wear it. I think it's cut in quite a flattering way.
It's great for wet weather (80% of our Autumn/winter) has a hood as far as I can see which is always handy.

carrie74 Mon 05-Sep-16 13:36:13

If you like it, that's all that matters! It looks very practical, so if that's what you're looking for, great. If you're looking for something more fashion-led, then it's probably a little too functional.

Runningupthathill82 Mon 05-Sep-16 13:44:17

I have one similar, in black, and look like a barrel in it (I'm a size 8 on top).

I have my padded jacket because it's cosy and practical and I spend a lot of time outdoors. I overlook the barrel-like appearance for those reasons. If you want to buy it because you think it'd be warm and practical then fair enough, but if you want an attractive autumn coat then you could do better!

ProseccoBitch Mon 05-Sep-16 13:45:48

I'm 39 and a size 10/12 and I would definitely wear it.

Error404usernamenotfound Mon 05-Sep-16 13:51:39

I'm 35 and I quite like it, but agree that you likely need to be slim to look good in it. I think the reason the sleeves look a little short is that the model is probably about 6'.

123rd Mon 05-Sep-16 13:55:43

My first thoughts were 'you have to be a rake to look good in that' and the sleeves are too short (for the model. )
I think any one with a bit of boob or broader back would look like the Michelin man-myself included

BIWI Mon 05-Sep-16 13:58:32

Why on earth would there be an age limit to do with a bloody coat?!

If you like it, if it fits you, if you think it suits you and if you an afford it - then buy it!

Youvegottobekidding Mon 05-Sep-16 13:59:36

I'm 5'6 and a 12-14, it does nip in at the waist as its like elasticated. Hubby says it looks 'smart, nice'. I think it's my boobs/ tummy. I tried in a 14 & it fitted ok, zipped up without me looking like a sausage. It's not overly puffed, but feels lightweight. I'm not really big in trends etc, just didn't want something that screamed 'm&s old lady' ha ha! Because knowing me, I'd get it & see a 70 year old lady wearing it and absolutely rocking it way better than me!

Floisme Mon 05-Sep-16 14:06:38

Firstly, everything BIWI says. Do you mean, 'Is it hideous but ok for an old person?' Or, 'Are old women far too savvy to buy a 'stormwear' coat that won't even keep your arse dry?'

Either way, I've seen worse and at least it seems to have a bit of shape at the waist but personally I'd want something longer and I find padding often adds bulk but not warmth. I don't know why it should be so hard to find a coat that combines style and practicality.

I did grin though at the 'long sleeved' reference. I didn't know sleeves in a coat were a special feature!

Trills Mon 05-Sep-16 14:42:23

I agree with BIWI.

IMO is it neither hideous nor nice.

I don't know if it is fashionable.

If you are in the market for an ok-looking shortish coat, and you like it go ahead.

Youvegottobekidding Mon 05-Sep-16 21:08:40

Ok so I decided against the coat - I got OH to take a photo of me with it on in the shop (yes really ha ha, & he did look embarrassed!) & well let's just say, the camera never lies, I looked shit!

Anyway so an impromptu visit to Sainsburys & saw this, although I have to admitt, I almost walked past as I usually would have never tried anything on like this before, but this coat looks so much better on than just on the hanger. I also pushed the boat out and got it in khaki, rather than the usual navy I would have gone for. It looks (I think) much better on me than the m&s coat.

tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/p/Khaki-Topstitch-Waxy-Jacket-/129713597-Khaki

midnightmoomoo Mon 05-Sep-16 21:37:02

I like the wax jacket you linked to! I had one in the 80s (remember how trendy they were once?) and I loved it....so did my oldest brother who used to pinch it to wear fishing and covered it in fish guts

I have a long down coat which nips in at the waist and I probably look like I'm wearing a duvet, but it's my playground coat so I don't care!! grin

Floisme Mon 05-Sep-16 22:06:15

I nearly bought a coat in Sainsbury's today too. I think yours is better but I want something longer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now