Pack me for my holiday in 10 days' time

(12 Posts)
PedantPending Sun 04-Sep-16 22:21:24

Tropical destination, not smart as such.
I am thinking 6 bikinis, 2 pairs of shorts with some tops, 4 dresses for the evenings 3 pairs of shoes, well fit flops and something else.
Any other ideas?

specialsubject Sun 04-Sep-16 22:32:32

How long for?

You need full length trousers and top for evening mosquitos, plenty of deet for daytime ones. Hat, trainers, 2 pairs flip flops, sarong, underwear ( change knickers after evening shower) , rash vest for swimming. 1 skirt.

3 bikinis plenty, or wear board shorts to avoid the soggy knickers feel of a bikini .

PedantPending Mon 05-Sep-16 07:14:35

2 and a half weeks. I will be taking long trousers, 2 pairs, 1 linen, 1 silk.
What is a rash vest?
I usually take disposable paper knickers plus a few normal pairs.

atticusclaw2 Mon 05-Sep-16 07:15:51

disposable paper knickers? confused!

wowfudge Mon 05-Sep-16 07:29:06

Are you just going to lie on a beach during the day or will you be visiting anywhere? If you may be doing anything touristy things, consider if you will need to cover up in order to respect the local culture; i.e. shorts and a vest top may not be appropriate.

A couple of pairs of shoes will be fine.

You are joking about paper knickers?

PedantPending Mon 05-Sep-16 08:29:02

Absolutely not joking about disposable knickers. Very useful, light, do not take up much case space and jolly practical if you are going to be massaged in oil every morning, as I will be, as they cover everything and can be disposed of afterwards.
Place I am going to is pretty out of the way, although I see that there are a couple of new places to visit, botanical gardens and a wildlife reserve, since the last time I was in that neck of the woods.
Walks on the beach rather than sunbathing or swimming as it is too dangerous to swim there.
I do not do vest tops, ever!

atticusclaw2 Mon 05-Sep-16 08:38:52

It sounds like you might have quite "individual" packing needs and maybe need to do your packing list yourself?

specialsubject Mon 05-Sep-16 09:54:34

Rash vest is a uv top. You should always wear one when swimming in high uv. But if no swimming, no need.

Wonder what happens to rubbish where you are going?

LaCerbiatta Mon 05-Sep-16 11:16:24

I've been going to the beach on holiday for 40 years and have never worn a rash vest or seen more than one or two on other people....

Specialsubject: are you seriously concerned with the waste caused by the paper knickers?? It equates to no more than a couple of paper tissues, surely?

The judgemental tone of this thread is ridiculous! Is it because the op has slightly less conventional choices?

I would personally take more shorts / tops and cotton day dresses.

Artandco Mon 05-Sep-16 11:21:00

6 bikinis seem a lot. 2 would be fine. One to wear, and one wet and drying.

atticusclaw2 Mon 05-Sep-16 11:51:30

Its not judgmental - keep your disposable kickers on! grin It's just that the OP clearly takes different things to most people (disposable knickers and six bikinis) and so the views of others might not be particularly helpful to her.

PedantPending Mon 05-Sep-16 16:28:19

I will pay more attention to what happens to the rubbish. A lot of it ends up on the side of the road for "re-purposing" and I imagine a lot is burned.
Don't like the sound of the rash vest at all, in fact just thinking about it is giving me a rash! I am not even sure I could get one where I live, not UK.
Only really need clothes for trips and supper in the evening. I invariably end up packing far too much and not wearing two thirds of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now