Talk

Advanced search

Help me smarten up for work!

(15 Posts)
Exploretheunexplored23 Sun 04-Sep-16 21:40:18

Hi everyone

Im 5'7, size 16, 32J boobs. I work in an office environment where company policy is that you must wear a knee length skirt everyday. I want to wear smart work dresses and suits but i cant find anything that fits reasonably and is affordable. I would pay around 25 pounds for a dress or more for a skirt suit.

Please help me!!! I feel so dumpy all the time i just want to look professional and be comfortable!

Ememem84 Sun 04-Sep-16 22:07:17

I'm in a similar sort of environment and I get a lot of my work stuff from oasis, warehouse, Hobbs.

Zara are also good.

Are you on Pinterest? Have a look for "pencil skirt outfits".

Also I've found eBay is my friend here. Loads of great stuff at a fraction of the price.

I saw a new skirt in oasis the other day but at £45 was a bit above what I'd pay.

Oh2beatsea Sun 04-Sep-16 23:04:45

Boden sale (clearance) is worth a try for dresses especially.

PurpleDaisies Sun 04-Sep-16 23:08:37

I've had lots of nice things for work from Sainsburys. Phase eight sale is often good for dresses. Hobbs is good but expensive.

PaperdollCartoon Mon 05-Sep-16 23:24:04

Where dictates that you have to wear a skirt?! It's not 1975.

Ememem84 Tue 06-Sep-16 06:30:40

paperdoll my company handbook says I should wear a skirt when I meet clients. And a jacket. Skirt should be of an "appropriate" length.

It depends what the op does, I used to work in law and there was a very strict dress code. we had to be skirt suited every day.

Now it's strict when we meet clients. Other times it's more laid back.

ThanksForAllTheFish Tue 06-Sep-16 12:51:23

I also worked in a company that had a knee length skirt / dress policy (but we could also do suit with trousers). We also had to wear tights all year round as bare legs were not permitted. This was a back office for a very well known bank and we never had any customers or clients in the office but it still had a strict dress code policy.

Dress down days also had a strict set of rules such as no: trainers, leggings, strappy tops that show shoulders or cleavage, shorts, jeans with rips, jeans or trousers that were not full length, hoodies, clothing or t shirts with logos or slogans, sandals or open toe shoes, evening dresses to name but a few. The dress code policy Took up a full 2 sides of A4 paper.

Exploretheunexplored23 Sat 10-Sep-16 13:21:00

Thanks for all the suggestions. I work in senior management for a chain. Ive been ebaying some of your suggestions and picked up a tu suit so far.

Exploretheunexplored23 Sat 10-Sep-16 13:22:12

Is oasis stuff generally worth the price tag? I had a work dress from there before but all the hems fell down

Bambooshoots14 Sat 10-Sep-16 13:45:47

Asda is good for work clothes and also Matalan online

Chewbecca Sat 10-Sep-16 14:21:37

Oasis is not very likely to give you a 'quality' look, no.

Would it be possible to buy fewer, more expensive items? So total spend the same but fewer items? Concentrating on good fabrics - no polyester.

Linea from House of Fraser can be Hobbs-like but slightly less ££.

Pisssssedofff Sat 10-Sep-16 15:29:05

You work in senior management and are buying clothes from asda ? You need a pay rise girlfriend, what's going on there ?

Ememem84 Sat 10-Sep-16 22:49:29

I mix and match. Oasis top ted baker (from eBay) skirt.

Jigsaw are good as are jaeger (their sales are good)

traviata Sat 10-Sep-16 22:58:17

I like this M&S

£25 is not much for a new dress unless you are going to ebay. How many outfits do you need? What do you have?

fluffiphlox Sat 10-Sep-16 23:03:02

Senior management? £25?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now