Talk

Advanced search

Help please!! How can I get a gel manicure off tonight (before work tomorrow!!)

(14 Posts)
Oh2beatsea Sun 04-Sep-16 20:19:00

I have tried soaking my nails in acetone and wrapping in foil that the nail tech advised but it's not shifting!!
Any quick fixes that I can do at home please? I'm back to work tomorrow and need them naked again 😕

wobblywonderwoman Sun 04-Sep-16 20:22:49

File them off - slowly but surely they will come off

taybert Sun 04-Sep-16 20:22:59

Have you buffed it with a file before doing the soaking? You just need to get the shine off.

blueskyinmarch Sun 04-Sep-16 20:25:20

I picked mine off today. It was massively satisfying. My nails are wrecked though.

Couldashouldawoulda Sun 04-Sep-16 20:25:41

Just peel them off! I always do... blush

WhooooAmI24601 Sun 04-Sep-16 20:27:59

Don't peel them off, it's a lovely feeling but you'll ruin your nails. File the top layer (gently) and soak again in acetone. Have you got a wooden orange stick? After ten minutes in acetone push off the top layer again, and re-soak if needed.

Use lots of cuticle oil afterwards, but please, please don't pick.

blueskyinmarch Sun 04-Sep-16 20:29:24

But if you have them taken off in a salon they are brutal anyway. Picking them of actually seems more gentle.

olderthanyouthink Sun 04-Sep-16 20:29:26

I find mine easier to pick off in/after a shower. I think it might be slightly less damaging, I think only the top layer of nail comes off because they are soft.

Oh2beatsea Sun 04-Sep-16 20:29:37

I've sort of done all of the above and knackered my nails!! They feel rough / bumpy and bendy!! Will try filing again to smooth them off.
Can you buy anything to remove it safely at home??
Thanks everyone.

leadrightfoot Sun 04-Sep-16 20:37:53

File top
Lots of acetone
Wrap in foil
Hot water bottle to warm up
Try and lift the edges with a cuticle stick periodically and lift away from the nail
Repeat all of above
Takes flipping forever
Have much tea or wine ready

Rastel38 Sun 04-Sep-16 20:40:35

I used Sensationail gel remover. They sell it in Boots

jelliebelly Sun 04-Sep-16 20:42:45

Acetone on cotton wool pad wrapped with foil and left for about 15 mins. That's how they do it in the salon and works for me at home ,

ohidoliketobe Sun 04-Sep-16 20:46:46

Yeah you have to remove the top coat or it's impossible to shift. Rough file over the top of each nail to remove the shine and try again with acetone wraps. Should start to lift after 5 mins and be falling off after 10. Plenty of oil and hand cream afterwards as the acetone is really drying

Oh2beatsea Sun 04-Sep-16 22:57:31

Ah thanks everyone. I didn't soak them for long enough but will know for next time 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now