Dyeing hair from black to blonde

(17 Posts)
CurriedEggs Sun 04-Sep-16 12:10:36

I have very dark brown/black hair which i dye regularly because of the amount of grey.

I now have bad regrowth every two weeks so I'm thinking that it may be time to have all the dyes stripped out and going to a lighter colour.

Does anyone have any advice for me on this process?

Pisssssedofff Sun 04-Sep-16 12:13:35

Your hair will snap off. My cousins daughter dos this with waist length hair, she now has a chin length bob.
I would have highlights and no more brown and black dyes for 12 months

DerekSprechenZeDick Sun 04-Sep-16 12:14:03

Go to a hairdressers.

It's a long process and can damage your hair. Don't attempt to do it with box dyes

OhGoshDarnIt Sun 04-Sep-16 12:17:49

My hair is naturally very dark and it has taken me YEARS to get it blonde (my hair is white/platinum now)

I have been every shade of orange and yellow going. It takes a long time and do not try it yourself as it will break

CurriedEggs Sun 04-Sep-16 12:28:48

Sorry, I meant to say that I will be getting it done in a salon but I'm not really sure where to start.

Obviously I can't go straight to blonde, so what do I do - get highlights? What colour? And what about when the grey comes through?

Thanks for your help.

Thegiantofillinois Sun 04-Sep-16 12:32:16

I did this. started with a lighter Brown tint underneath(nearer my natural colour) then a few highlights on top. It gets more blender surprisingly quickly-to the point where I'm currently slighted darker again cos I got a bit Liz McDonald.

Thegiantofillinois Sun 04-Sep-16 12:32:33

Sorry, more blonde.

PuppyMonkey Sun 04-Sep-16 12:36:46

Bleached blonde highlights will disguise the grey as it comes through. You'll need to keep going back to hairdresser to have the highlights done. I eventually got to the stage where my highlights just looked like a full head of blonde hair - which is when I decided I didn't like it and dyed it all dark brown. I do that every four weeks now - God bless Superdrug

DefinitelyNotRuth Sun 04-Sep-16 12:36:50

I do this quite regularly as I'm a bit capricious with my hair colour. First thing you need to do is strip the colour out, you can do it with a colour stripper from the chemist and as long as you follow the instructions properly, it won't damage your hair. After that, book an appointment with the hair dresser for a semi colour all over and hair lights. Every six weeks have the highlights redone until the all over colour is what you want. It's expensive and takes a while but the roots are easier to manage.
Good luck smile

Crystal15 Sun 04-Sep-16 12:37:18

I did this. Now have a bob and ruined hair. It's best to do it over like 5 years with fading

Truckingalong Sun 04-Sep-16 12:41:59

Google olaplex

FeedMeAndTellMeImPretty Sun 04-Sep-16 12:45:33

I did this. Been black for quite a few years, with the odd foray into reds and purples when I get bored.

I used an at-home colour remover, which initially stripped all the black revealing a big light streak across the front, but quickly reverted to black again, twice! In the end I went to the local college where I had the colour removed entirely and some coloured and highlighted foils put in.

Looked lovely but didn't really address the grey problem as the highlights were put in randomly rather than where the grey streak is, so I still got white roots on the dark hair and dark roots on the blond highlights!

Have now had more blonde put in where the main grey bit is and to be fair, my hair is still in OK condition, probably a bit less smooth than before if I don't straighten it, but not snapping off etc. It's Bob length though.

It's really not a hugh faff to lighten it a bit, especially if you're not expecting white blonde highlights. Mine are more caramel/golden and I use a purple shampoo to avoid it looking too ginger.

Mumelie Mon 05-Sep-16 10:28:10

I did this about 5 months ago and my hair has survived! I was v dark brown from box dyes - started to look very witchy and the greys were reappearing within days of dying.
I want to a salon and was advised to wash with a colour stripping type shampoo for 2 months (Head & Shoulders) to lighten the colour (else it would go very orange). Then I went back had a bleach bath to strip the colour out to a mid tone (was still fairly orange at this point) - followed up with some highlights to mid lengths and a dark blonde to roots. Overall an ombre effect, but natural looking.
Over the summer the sun has made my hair overall a lot lighter - still mid blonde but looks good and isnt ruined. I've been back recently for a root touch up in a lighter shade to cover greys (which only became noticeable after 6 weeks).
Go to a salon and good luck

allthecarbs Mon 05-Sep-16 10:32:59

I went from black to blonde by getting a dull head of highlights. I went a warm blonde rather than white blonde to help blend the dark bits in.
You need a v good hairdresser though. It's not worth going cheap.

PuppyMonkey Mon 05-Sep-16 10:36:39

My hairdresser says Johnson's baby shampoo is the best for stripping colour build up out.

Bantanddec Tue 06-Sep-16 09:01:45

Last week I went to the salon and went dark purple to honey blonde, they did a strand test and my hair lifted easily (i had been platinum for years until a year ago) the stylist bleached bathed it first, then did a full head of foils. I like the colour it's turned out it looks strawberry blonde in some lights probably due to the pink and red pigments in the purple dye .

CurriedEggs Wed 07-Sep-16 14:20:50

Thanks all. I'll definitely go to at salon.

I don't even really want to go blonde I'm just fed up with my roots coming through so quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now