Talk

Advanced search

which dark brown hair dye lasts the longest

(13 Posts)
ihatethecold Fri 02-Sep-16 15:59:47

I have very dark brown hair that's going slightly grey and i hate it.
Ive got strands of grey rather than just the roots

I keep having to dye it. I'm using a permanent home colour bought from Boots or superdrug but they don't last very long, maybe a month at a push.

Shouldnt they last longer?

WhatInTheWorld76 Fri 02-Sep-16 18:46:35

Can't help - have precisely the same issue- mine only lasts weeks. I use nice n easy in a brown shade (can't say which one as it will definitely out me to eagle-eyed RL sister-in-law). Shamelessly placemarking.

SimplyNigella Fri 02-Sep-16 20:49:03

I've started using the Nice and Easy Age Defy (or similar name) and it does last longer on me than the standard version.

ihatethecold Fri 02-Sep-16 21:30:28

Age defy?
Not heard of that one.

SimplyNigella Fri 02-Sep-16 21:37:00

I think it's fairly new. It comes with a treatment that you apply first to soften coarser greys so the colour takes better. It sounds a bit gimmicky but I've just used it for the second time and only needed to use it for root re-growth whereas in the past I've been having to colour most of my hair every few weeks.

Mrs9C Fri 02-Sep-16 22:13:42

I've tried multiple brands but they don't last long. Think I might go back to a semi permanent as the permanent doesn't last anyway. Heat destroys the colour, hot showers, hair dryers and straighteners all strip the colour.

Mrsmaudwatts Sat 03-Sep-16 20:55:57

I get professional colour off eBay, my dsis a hairdresser so I buy the brand she uses. Loreal Majirel. 6 is a nice deep brown.

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Sun 04-Sep-16 10:53:06

I have very recently used a new L'Oréal hair colour (Excellence Age Perfect) which I saw in the supermarket for the first time last week. It's specifically for grey hair so fingers crossed it lasts longer than other permanent hair dyes I use (or else it's just a clever marketing trick).

Other than that I use shampoo that is SLS free. I think that helps too.

DropZoneOne Sun 04-Sep-16 10:58:46

Excellence and Preference are rubbish, formula changed recently and I've found it fades within a couple of weeks. There was a Swarzkopf one that had a thicker formula for roots then a thinner one for ends that was good but I can't remember where I bought it from!

I used Nice and Easy when I only had a few greys. Can't remember why I changed. Probably due to it not taking enough as I got increasingly grey.

ihatethecold Sun 04-Sep-16 14:37:08

I really hate the faff of dyeing my hair.
I put it off for as long as I can.

DropZoneOne Sun 04-Sep-16 22:20:48

Oops not Schwarzkopf, it's actually Vidal Sassoon! Which is probably why I couldn't find it again hmm.

Soozikinzi Sun 04-Sep-16 22:22:10

I think the prodigy are the best but I have red hair so might not be the same ?

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sun 04-Sep-16 22:27:47

Using shampoos for dyed hair will help stop the fade as will regularly using the conditioner that comes with the dye, protecting from bright sun and as someone suggested, avoiding too much heat on your hair.

I think re dying it every month can't really be avoided though.
Lots of mners rave about using henna which could work for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now