Talk

Advanced search

Going to uni as a "mature" student - what on earth shall I wear ??

(10 Posts)
whatohwhattowear Fri 02-Sep-16 11:52:52

Please help me !

I'm late 20s and off to uni in a few weeks and I have no idea what to wear. I am studying "farming" (I don't want to use the proper name as I don't want to be on the google searches !) alongside business. I just don't know how to balance "I'm serious about my studies/hire me when I'm qualified" look with "I'm not a tutor". I had a nosey on open days and it's a lot of skinny jeans and wax jackets, but I can't wear that all the time. I'm about a size 16 at the moment which doesn't help ,also I have to dress somewhat modestly (ie leggings with any dresses and at least t shirt length sleeves). However I am worried I'll go slip down the "Boden dress /leggings/hunter welly" slippery slope ....

I never know who's going to suddenly turn up so I have to at least have a nod towards looking a little professional I guess (think multinational companies and what not) but I could also end up at any given moment on a farm/on a tractor.

Please help me blush

CoolToned Fri 02-Sep-16 12:04:41

wax jackets?

whatohwhattowear Fri 02-Sep-16 12:12:40

Yeh you know like Barbour jackets.

vitaminC Fri 02-Sep-16 12:19:01

I became a mature student in my late 30s and also wondered how to dress. I left a corporate career and it took me quite a while to get used to casual wear every day.
These days I tend to dress fairly similarly to the other students but I buy slightly more expensive versions in better quality fabrics, as I can no longer get away with cheaper items - i just look scruffy.

CoolToned Fri 02-Sep-16 12:22:45

I'm a mature student right now, in my late 30s. Basically I wear jeans, sneakers, t-shirt, and a jacket/down jacket/parka depending on the weather.

TheDropBear Fri 02-Sep-16 12:30:54

Casual stuff, unless it's a specific event your lecturers won't care what you wear.
Most of the year will probably be in jeans and hoodies.

titchy Fri 02-Sep-16 13:02:12

You'll impress no-one if you wear inappropriate clothing for the occasion - you want to be able to demonstrate your awareness and flexibility to cover every eventuality, so given that you could be expected to jump on a tractor at any given moment jeans and suitable footwear.

Pisssssedofff Fri 02-Sep-16 15:56:57

Why would potential employers suddenly turn up and expect you dressed professionally ? I met my last employer on a train whilst dressed as a fairy - me and Santa - him, we swapped business cards, I started in the new year

IAmAPaleontologist Fri 02-Sep-16 16:03:10

I spent my degree as a mature student in jeans or shift dresses with opaque tights. Just my normal clothes. Tbh my main concern was earring stuff that would stay comfortable for a day in lectures. I wore jeans less and less as it went on because bending over the stupid tiny desks all day with a jeans waist band quickly becomes uncomfortable.

whatohwhattowear Sat 03-Sep-16 10:23:47

Not exactly professionally but I don't think I'd be taken very seriously if I'm there in juicy couture and uggs, however comfy. I'm trying to think of a good balance. Jeans aren't very comfy atm (I put on weight which I'm losing) and I get bad muffin top. Blazers would be good but I don't think they suit my size either ? For the boys it's easy - they all wear cords and checked shirts grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now