Talk

Advanced search

What is the new 'thing', essential this A/W?

(23 Posts)
danTDM Thu 01-Sep-16 18:57:03

That's it really. I have been v ill in hosp, then moved flat. Most of my stuff is not properly unpacked clothes wise and I realised I am holding on to things I have had for years.

I need to start again. I didn't get or like this cold shoulder business, what is the equivalent, one piece/two pieces I can buy for winter? I missed a whole year! Is it a shirt dress? (Hope so !)

Am 45 and slim and tall. Getting figure back slowly but surely after months of bed rest. I hate anything too dressy.
TIA so much.

danTDM Thu 01-Sep-16 19:35:40

Anyone? Please!
Plus, boots/shoes? I need flats really. Is that ok?

Talisin Thu 01-Sep-16 19:38:44

Velvet stuff, apparently.

elQuintoConyo Thu 01-Sep-16 19:38:49

No idea! But i'm interested, too, and i'd like to bump your thread.

I hope you are feeling better flowers

danTDM Thu 01-Sep-16 19:41:07

Really? I have a vintage velvet ghost dress.

Prob won't fit anymore grin
Thanks Talisin

danTDM Thu 01-Sep-16 19:42:02

Thanks quint
Much better thanks!

originalusernamefail Thu 01-Sep-16 19:43:52

Pinny dresses seem to be everywhere. I am undecided though.

Nearlyadoctor Thu 01-Sep-16 19:43:58

Chelsea boots definately, to be worn with anything and everything. Totally flat or low- mid heeled, any style from Dr Martens to a more sleek R&B version.

danTDM Thu 01-Sep-16 19:47:12

nearly fab about Chelsea boots. I was actually looking at some Dr arten style bots in Zara. Not biker boots at all, but chunky.
original oh! Can' see me in a pinny dress (off to google what it is)

Shirt dresses or no?

Nearlyadoctor Thu 01-Sep-16 20:12:06

There's definitely been quite a lot of shirt dresses around over the summer, particularly in denim. Not really me though so haven't taken loads of notice if there have been others about.

CaroleService Thu 01-Sep-16 20:14:21

Small bright floral prints on a dark background, esp in midi dress format

Nearlyadoctor Thu 01-Sep-16 20:15:47

Ruched dresses, skirts and tops seem to be very popular, and having bought a couple of the dresses also very versatile .

www.hush-uk.com/womenswear/daywear/dresses_skirts/tara_dress_forest.htm

danTDM Thu 01-Sep-16 20:24:57

Thanks nearly I quite like that dress, have to be super fit to wear it.
Yes, kept seeing the denim shirt dresses over summer.

Agree Carole, but I'm in Spain. Really like that look but think it's prob more English. Nothing here like that.

So, midi dress ruched, floral print maybe, velvet and Chelsea boots?

I like the pinny dresses but think they're a bit young for me. Sadly, easy to wear.

Nearlyadoctor Thu 01-Sep-16 20:31:00

It actually hides a multitude of sins grin

Cellardoor23 Thu 01-Sep-16 20:33:33

The nautical style seems to be quite popular where I am. Other than that alot of trench coats, north face and loafers. Michael kors seems to be everywhere as well, especially in bag form. It's put me off a bit.

danTDM Thu 01-Sep-16 20:41:16

Thanks cellar. Not really a definite 'thing' then it seems! I like nautical, again, I think summer tho'.

Cellardoor23 Thu 01-Sep-16 20:50:35

I agree danTDM From having a quick browse in the shops today I think it seems to be gearing towards navy/grey, burgundy and forest green. I don't think you can really go wrong with Chelsea boots for A/W. Stylish and keep your feet warm! I'm a big fan of tartan scarfs too.

danTDM Thu 01-Sep-16 20:57:23

Yes, I saw a lot of tarten online actually, really pleased about the boots!

Nzou1050 Thu 01-Sep-16 21:00:30

As someone who has not a clue can I ask what you can wear Chelsea boots with? I just had to google what they are blush. Can you wear them with skirts/dresses as well as trousers?

burnishedsilver Thu 01-Sep-16 21:04:14

Embroidery seems to be having a moment.

Snog Thu 01-Sep-16 21:18:46

Mom jeans

PeepshowPeg Thu 01-Sep-16 21:33:04

We're coming out of winter down here in Australia.
This year I have been mostly wearing (I sound like that bloke from the Fast Show..)

Skinny jeans
Boyfriend style jeans
Layering tops (including summery ones)
Checked/tartan flannelette shirts
Chunky cardis and jumpers
Scarves, cotton and woolly
Corduroy pinafore dress with woolly tights and biker boots (fave outfit).
Dr Marten "Gayle" biker boots, had them 5 years, they were pricey but totally worth it.
Adidas "Samoa" sneakers.
Orange suede ballet flats.

I wear a lot of navy, grey, khaki type colours so I like a bit of colour on my feet or in a scarf. Brightens my 42 year old self up a bit.
Aside from the shoes, most of my clothes are charity shop or eBay finds.

carrie74 Thu 01-Sep-16 21:50:36

I've made the leap and bought a satin embroidered bomber jacket. Not yet worn (been too warm), but looking forward to debuting it for Autumn...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now