Talk

Advanced search

Workwear crisis!

(17 Posts)
CakeNinja Wed 31-Aug-16 19:10:00

Need some sensible modest clothes for going back to work.
Everything I have in my wardrobe is either 'going out' or 'going to the gym' or just not practical.
I need some dresses with long sleeves, above knee okay but not mini.
Not a big fan of trousers but love jumpers so can handle them for that reason only.
No jeans or trainers allowed.
I'm 31, a size 14 currently although this is on its way down again after holidays! Don't know what my shape is but probably pear as huge hips much wider than the rest of my body.
Having a bit of a crisis as I need them rather quickly.
Would mainly like to use asos in the short term as I can't realistically get back out to the shops and I have their unlimited next day delivery service.
Off out in a bit but would be massively grateful for any suggestions in the meantime!

CakeNinja Thu 01-Sep-16 00:09:52

I can't believe no one answered my plight shock

chezbot Thu 01-Sep-16 00:14:48

Some lovely stuff here www.yumi.co.uk/sale/

FaithAscending Thu 01-Sep-16 00:19:16

I will answer! I wear uniform for work but I have smart/casual options in my wardrobe that might fit the bill for you. I found stuff like you are after in Gap and Mantary (Debenhams). I wear my dresses with leggings but tights can work too.

Will try to link:
Gap tunic

Mantaray dress

I have something like this Mantaray dress in grey/purple colours.

That might get you started and bump the post?

NewBallsPlease00 Thu 01-Sep-16 00:21:23

What sector do you work in eg creative, legal, education etc-
Are you client facing?
Are you expected to look a certain way or is it for you?
What's your budget and how much stuff so you need for it?

CakeNinja Thu 01-Sep-16 01:02:24

Education, I'm a TA.
chezbot, I'm going to order that lovely black cloak cape on the first page, it's gorgeous!
Also the denim mantaray dress.
Budget is as much as I need really, probably happy to spend around £6/700 or so to get started, they're work clothes so will end up getting quite trashed in the end!
5/6 dresses, 3 pairs of trousers and tops, jumpers.
I have a few pairs of shoes and boots that will be fine so not particularly looking for those although never need much of an excuse!
Normally live in navy but not averse to other colours.
Thanks for the help so far, very much appreciated.

Cellardoor23 Thu 01-Sep-16 01:03:56

faith I have that mantaray dress (the first one) grin It was actually bought for me after I had DC. Not a style I would usually go for but I quite like it! I usually wear it with leggings and sometimes a top underneath.

Cellardoor23 Thu 01-Sep-16 01:07:39

cake Good choice smile

trinity0097 Thu 01-Sep-16 06:29:42

Don't get long sleeved dresses - better to have things you can layer so that if you are hot in the classroom you can take something off (either there and then or between lessons in the loo if needs be!) So I wear (as a teacher) a sleeveless shift dress with a long sleeve vest under then a long sleeve cardi or jacket.

Don't buy anything that expensive as it will get ruined!

KARMAisaBtch Thu 01-Sep-16 06:38:35

Have you tried browsing Next clothing range?

They have also branded ones that can be used at work inc Ted Baker which I love.

At the moment they have £20 off when you spend £50 @ Next online.
It also applies in sale items.

Let me know if you want a voucher code. smile

FaithAscending Thu 01-Sep-16 06:44:09

I helped! smile Don't disregard supermarket clothing for this kind of job. I got a gorgeous skater dress from Tesco (it has pockets!) that looks lovely with leggings. I agree with trinity, don't spend a fortune because you will get messy!

PrincessHairyMclary Thu 01-Sep-16 06:59:31

Sainsburys clothes are great, they seem to be Next quality for half the price. I'm a TA and have several of their dresses and tunics to wear with tights/leggings with a cardigan over or their long sleeve black roll necks under. Classrooms can be very hot so wear something that can be layered as you will also find yourself doing playground duties outside.

CakeNinja Thu 01-Sep-16 08:11:20

We aren't allowed to be sleeveless, not that i would with my upper arms! I wear long sleeves all year round due to having horrible arms, even in the heat of summer, although can cope with tshirts etc with sleeves to elbows.
I have 2 pairs of trousers I got from ted baker which are the only ones I've ever liked so I'm going to get a couple of new pairs from there.
And will be browsing asos tonight as I need to hurry the hell up!

CakeNinja Thu 01-Sep-16 08:21:55

I've just bought the phase 8 jumper in grey linked to on the other thread - just hope express delivery means tomorrow!

Oh2beatsea Thu 01-Sep-16 10:50:05

Try Boden (sale or outlet on ebay) for great dresses. Don't pay full price - always a sale or discount code about.
Mantaray also for tunics and dresses.
TK Max
Sainsburys.
Hope you find what you want.

CakeNinja Thu 01-Sep-16 12:04:59

Have just ordered a couple of Boden dresses, had £20 off from a previous order!

cocoF2016 Mon 26-Sep-16 14:49:36

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now