Talk

Advanced search

What should dd wear for her first long haul flight?

(13 Posts)
IAmTheBFG Wed 31-Aug-16 15:21:53

My 14 year old dd is flying from Heathrow to Costa Rica (14 hours, no stops) in February and is already starting to worry about what to wear! She is a little obsessed about how she looks, but also hates the whole process of flying, particularly going through security and bag drop off and as a result wants to have everything planned well in advance . Her main issue is that it will be very cold when she leaves from Heathrow, but in Costa Rica the weather should be hot and dry. Her birthday is just before the trip, therefore I don't mind buying her something a little luxurious to wear on the flight as a present because I want her to feel comfortable, as she normally panics badly a few of times through a five hour flight. Any advice about what she should wear for the flight would be much appreciated!

HerdsOfWilderbeest Wed 31-Aug-16 15:24:09

A comfy tracksuit. And take a spare tee shirt and knickers and shorts to change into before she arrives.

Drquin Wed 31-Aug-16 15:26:11

I'd go for comfy .... And as "stylish" as she normally is.
Layers are probably key ..... Vest tops, long-sleeve t-shirts, long cardigan ..... Which she can shed on arrival. Depending her style, maybe denim shorts with leggings underneath, and remove leggings on arrival.

With some kind of wrap / big scarf, that is cosy on leaving UK, but again can be removed on arrival.

EssentialHummus Wed 31-Aug-16 15:30:37

I always wear harem pants for flights - very comfy, can be layered up, look good with trainers/ballet flats. I think mine cost £10 or so from Amazon, usually worn with a white top and high-cut denim jacket.

SoftSheen Wed 31-Aug-16 15:32:51

Linen or cotton trousers, short-sleeved top, cardigan.

RitaConnors Wed 31-Aug-16 15:34:34

Leggings and a dress is what I wear. Then you can take the leggings off if you are hot.

CalmYaTits Wed 31-Aug-16 15:54:37

I'm flying next week and I'll be wearing Nike leggings with a loose vest and berkinstocks

Buzzardbird Wed 31-Aug-16 16:01:44

Don't forget the plane will be as cold as Siberia all the way there so best to have layers on that she can remove when she gets there. A large scarf/pash is a good idea as can double up as a pillow.

HeadDreamer Wed 31-Aug-16 16:03:59

Definitely not skinny jeans. They are really uncomfortable. So dresses with tights, shorts with tights, linen/cotton trousers, harem, joggers. Whatever she's happy to lounge in.

Hulababy Wed 31-Aug-16 16:12:28

DD is 14y. On long haul this summer she wore harem pants, a floaty top, trainers and took a hoodie for the flight out. She had small shorts in her hand luggage and changed into them at the airport. She also has fresh pants in her hand luggage too, plus a lip salve (can get dry on plane.) She usually wears her hair tied back, often in plaits, when flying but takes a brush too as it can get messed up after leaning back on the seats.

She prefers to have her legs covered on the plane - says the seats can be a bit rough on bare skin.

Hulababy Wed 31-Aug-16 16:13:16

Oh - and she tends to go for a sports bra type thing, or a bandeau, rather than a proper bra as says it is more comfortable.

Runningupthathill82 Wed 31-Aug-16 16:57:55

Harem pants, sandals, vest top with T shirt over the top, hoody. Thick, cosy socks for on the plane. Comfy layers are the way forward.

Then she can get off the plane in Costa Rica in just the vest, harems and sandals. Not a tracksuit, she'll be roasting on arrival, and not jeans for the same reason.

specialsubject Wed 31-Aug-16 18:08:18

Trackies, loose t shirt, fleece for cold bits, no bra for comfort. Suitable clothes for arrival in hand luggage and change an hour beford landing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now