Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone culotted?

(21 Posts)
CaroleService Wed 31-Aug-16 10:06:43

Should I or shouldn't I?

(No, is the answer - I'm short and fat. Why am i even tempted????)

CaroleService Wed 31-Aug-16 14:25:23

No-one?

Pestilence13610 Wed 31-Aug-16 14:34:20

Be cautious of culottes.
I once attended an all day training session given by a lady wearing much too tight culottes. The image has imprinted upon my brain forever. Work colleagues became friends and remained so for the past decade all down to that training course. Jokes are still made. hmm
I do own a pair of slightly baggy indigo linen culottes and like them. grin

Stanley38 Wed 31-Aug-16 15:08:38

I am culotte-ing a lot this summer! I have a navy blue pair from Karen Millen and a white and blue striped pair from Whistles.

I think Pestilence's comment is true and if they don't fit you right, they are probably the most unflattering thing you can wear!

I don't think they are a complete no-no for short or "fat" people but I would probably stick to wearing them quite smart (rather than dressing down with t-shirts and flats/ loafers/ trainers) so that you can wear heels.

And at the end of the day, if you try a pair on and feel fabulous in them, then bloody well wear them and enjoy them! :-)

chanie44 Wed 31-Aug-16 15:12:50

I have a denim pair - although I'm petite, I have broad shoulders and big boobs, so they help to balance me, which is why I think they work.

I wear mine with heels, as flats make me look stumpy. Baggy tops are also a no-no.

YesOfCourseAlways Wed 31-Aug-16 15:58:45

I have a great Whistles pair, I haven't wore them since spring, I am short and they need a heel, I like them with ankle boots

CaroleService Wed 31-Aug-16 16:10:07

Was it a camel toe issue, Pestilence?

Heels a must

Pestilence13610 Wed 31-Aug-16 16:55:05

Camel toe beyond what you would imagine was anatomically possible.

lisam78 Wed 31-Aug-16 18:36:42

I wore a pair this past weekend, the first time since about 1991!
They are plain black, high waisted and I wore them with a cream camisole,black stilettos and a black biker jacket. It looked really good! I was worried as I am not the tallest, but if you wear heels, and avoid ankle straps as they can make your legs look stumpy, then you should be fine!

CaroleService Wed 31-Aug-16 18:50:55

<<LOOKS AT BLACK CULOTTES>>

<<WIBBLES>>

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Wed 31-Aug-16 19:20:37

Personally, I think along with cold shoulder tops they are one of the most vile recent trends. I haven't seen a pair I like yet, and I've only seen them on the models!

ArieltheMermaid1720 Wed 31-Aug-16 21:38:01

I was wearing mine today with a silk whistles top.

badg3r Wed 31-Aug-16 22:05:06

I got married in a pair this summer grin I love how they swish! I also have two pairs from uniqlo. Do it!!

lalalonglegs Wed 31-Aug-16 22:44:03

I have about five pairs (including a culotte jumpsuit) - they feel less prissy than a skirt. I don't understand why they would fit someone worse than any other item of clothing if you get the right size, they're certainly much more flattering than ubiquitous items such as skinny jeans confused.

CaroleService Thu 01-Sep-16 07:04:58

Ordered ....

Floisme Thu 01-Sep-16 07:09:39

I agree with lala. I struggle to see why culottes are intrinsically any less flattering than trousers or midi skirts. Anything ill fitting looks bad.

OnlyHereForTheCamping Thu 01-Sep-16 07:13:32

I loved culottes in the 80's. Can't quite bring myself to do it. What about the cropped wide leg things. I ate like them but ...

libertydoddle Thu 01-Sep-16 07:27:43

I have embraced culottes! Have a pair of Uniqlo and from Toast. I love them. I am pear shaped and I think it's because they are essentially an a-line shape they are very flattering on my shape.

ishouldcocoa Thu 01-Sep-16 07:38:38

I bought a denim pair from Jaeger in the spring. I've worn them less than I thoroughly I would, but I'm a fairly casual dresser.

I'm quite busty, and have found they balance me out. They are incredibly comfortable as they also have a bit of Lycra in them... with no camel toe in sight!

2gorgeousboys Thu 01-Sep-16 07:50:38

I didn't think I liked them but accidentally bought a jumpsuit on line in the sale which turned out to be culottes. I love it! They are so easy to wear, I wear mine for work and am looking for another pair at the moment. I agree that they are easier to wear with heels but I have also worn mine with flats.

CaroleService Thu 01-Sep-16 18:34:13

These are more like cropped , wide leg trousers (if there's a difference). Not swishy really; not 'triangular', anyway if that makes sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now