Talk

Advanced search

Does anything actually work for knackered nails?

(14 Posts)
doubleristretto Tue 30-Aug-16 16:19:16

I've removed my acrylics (I know they're tacky but I love them!) and my nails are beyond ruined. I'm in Boots and there are so many miracle products, do any of them actually work? I've chopped them right down but they're still bendy and uncomfortable. Help please! grin

Nabootique Tue 30-Aug-16 16:25:26

Nail oil, or better yet, pure jojoba. It's closest to what the body produces naturally. Do not use any varnish type product marketed as a nail hardener or strengthener.

Mouthfulofquiz Tue 30-Aug-16 16:27:55

Dior creme abricot did wonders for mine.

doubleristretto Tue 30-Aug-16 16:34:13

Thank you, I'll have a (careful) rummage.

StereophonicallyChallenged Tue 30-Aug-16 16:35:29

If you need a hardener then Mavala is a wonder liquid imho smile

cocoblu Tue 30-Aug-16 17:08:41

Sally hansen nail oil, butt's bees lemon cuticle butter or plain old vaseline are all worth a try

snowgirl1 Tue 30-Aug-16 17:13:11

Time. You just need to wait for them to grow out/stronger. My nails felt so thin and sensitive after I'd had acrylics removed. Take some good vitamins too.

peaceloveandshitmoms Tue 30-Aug-16 17:15:04

Vitamins and cuticle oil.

BobbinThreadbare123 Tue 30-Aug-16 17:17:47

Sally Hansen Nail Rescue, and then leave them alone! They'll be very thin and brittle. Get plenty of vitamin B!

doubleristretto Tue 30-Aug-16 18:58:20

Thank you for all your advice. I found a Boots own nail oil but the largest ingredient was liquid petrolium which is Vaseline, isn't it? I've got loads of Vaseline at home and don't need to pay £8 for a small pot! So I googled jojoba and tried to buy oil in Holland and Barrett but they had run out - I ended up in the Body Shop where I never go as the sales woman is so good blush anyway, long story short, I've spent £10 on a tiny little pen of almond nail and cuticle manicure oil which she assured me was the absolute best thing and would give results in about four weeks hmm I'm about to apply it, wish me luck!

poppym12 Tue 30-Aug-16 19:39:39

Almond oil. Rub it in a couple of times a day and leave them well alone. Any old almond oil will do.

peaceloveandshitmoms Tue 30-Aug-16 19:58:15

Almond oil is great.

peaceloveandshitmoms Tue 30-Aug-16 19:58:50

Another thing I swear by for cuticles is Lush Lemony Flutter.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 30-Aug-16 20:27:09

Dadi oil or solar oil from cnd.

There sore because the nail has been thinned too much, it needs to grow out which takes a couple of months in most of us.

Nails grow in one long continuous plate so as long as the root hasn't been damaged they should recover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now