Talk

Advanced search

Biker or bomber?

(13 Posts)
FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 29-Aug-16 19:04:35

I want to get a faux leather jacket (faux because I don't want to spend too much as hoping to shed a couple of stone) and have found some I like.

Just after opinions really, I think I prefer the bomber style and they would probably fit better over my boobs, but I lean towards the biker as something a bit more classic.

What does everyone think?

Youknowitmakessense Mon 29-Aug-16 19:17:53

I have a lovely super dry faux leather biker - very pleased with it

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 29-Aug-16 19:39:22

I really really like a leather Superdry jacket I saw the other day - just a bit out of my price range at the moment!

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 29-Aug-16 19:42:40

I absolutely love this one. You which one do you have?

Floisme Mon 29-Aug-16 19:49:49

I really like bikers but I don't consider them a classic. I think they've been a huge trend that will sooner or later go the way of all trends.

There are quite a lot of bombers coming into the shops now but there are some other shapes too e.g. oversized, 'boyfriend' styles, reminiscent of the 80s. I think it's a bit too early to say which will 'win'. We could end up with a completely different silhouette and it might depend partly on what happens with jeans which are going through a similar change.

It's not going to happen overnight though so I would just get whatever shape you prefer - just don't save it for best!

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 29-Aug-16 20:06:54

I wouldn't buy an 80s style blazer, definitely not!

I don't know why I'm dithering tbh - the one I've found this one is cheap and will do until I feel like I want to splurge.

Floisme Mon 29-Aug-16 20:23:42

Oh I never say never grin

I'm a big believer in just buying what you like and wearing it till you don't like it any more. But that one you've linked is a nice simple shape and doesn't scream 'biker' so probably a good bet.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 29-Aug-16 20:27:13

Ta. I've ordered it! With the bank holiday discount I got it for only £13.65 which is pretty decent!

niminypiminy Mon 29-Aug-16 20:32:28

That's interesting Floisme I found myself googling leather bomber jacket the other day but nothing I recognised as a bomber turned up. I like the biker shape but it only really works over a t shirt/thin top.

Bingo! Just repeated the search and this from H&M turned up. Very eighties - wide, raglan sleeves narrowing at the cuff, fairly cropped. I like it! I'm a bit bored with biker jackets (mind you, I've never had one).

niminypiminy Mon 29-Aug-16 20:35:05

I tell a lie. I did have one in the late nineties - red leather from M&S. It got nicked when I left it on a train. But that shows how long biker jackets have been in.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 29-Aug-16 21:32:27

What I really want is a Burberry trench with a hood but think it's unlikely they'll ever be in my price range!

Floisme Tue 30-Aug-16 07:50:02

I'd love one of those too Felicia.

That jacket really is 80s niminy - takes me right back! I linked a couple of other shapes on a thread a few weeks ago and I'm trying to remember where they were from. One was Me and Em and had biker styling but was oversized, with price tag to match. And I think the others might have been All Saints: bombers, not hugely different to bikers but simpler, without the big collar and the studding/quilting and with a welt at the hem.

It's good to see new styles. I really like bikers and they probably suit me better, being short and fitted but it's boring when there's literally no other kind in the shops.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Tue 30-Aug-16 14:05:59

I don't mind the bombers but I agree that one's a bit too much for me. I prefer a more fitted style.

My favourite ever jacket was a cream corduroy blazer from French Connection - I wore it to death about 15 years ago until it ripped completely under the arms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now