Talk

Advanced search

How do I apply eye liner?

(21 Posts)
GloveBug Sun 28-Aug-16 20:32:30

I bought a liquid eye liner today. Watched a couple of youtube videos (which didn't really seem to go in to a lot of detail) and then had a go at applying it. It looks like my 4 yr old has put it on me sad
I don't have a steady hand and couldn't seem to get a straight line.
Can anyone give me any tips or point me to a good tutorial?
I've never worn eyeliner before. Not even sure if you're supposed to apply it before or after mascara?

OliviaBensonOnAGoodDay Sun 28-Aug-16 20:35:22

I can't get it right either. Been trying for years. Sometimes I'll put it on and think it looks nice, then when I'm out I'll see myself in the mirror and it'll have worn off or faded and looks all patchy. So disappointing!

So watching with interest grin

ArieltheMermaid1720 Sun 28-Aug-16 20:51:54

I'm not brilliant with the liquidy liquid types, but Topshop do one called the chunky liner which is so easy to put on, it's like a big felt tip, but you can do fine lines with it too. It's honestly brilliant. Some people also suggest doing a fine line with a kohl pencil first as a guide and then going over it with your liquid. I always put mine on before mascara.

Girlwhowearsglasses Sun 28-Aug-16 21:00:22

Rimmel Glam Eyes.

Has a really long brush - put tip on first and drag along lash line. Straightest I've ever done and I've tried so many. Been using it 20 years

GloveBug Sun 28-Aug-16 21:06:40

I think part of the problem may have been that I already had makeup on and was trying to put it on with already dried mascara. I will try again tomorrow smile
Thanks for the suggestions all

milpool Sun 28-Aug-16 21:11:40

What kind is it that you bought? Does it have a long stalk and small brush, or a long handle and brush? I personally find a long handle easier as you're not going to get eyeliner on your fingers.

Persistence and practice is key! Stick way closer to the lash line than you ever think you would need to.

You could also consider a gel liner in a pot and a separate small brush. I find that much easier than a standard liquid eyeliner.

Honey2006 Sun 28-Aug-16 21:11:41

Watch the Sali Hughes tutorial on how to do flicky eyes - that's a good one and gives you a cheat's guide

Honey2006 Sun 28-Aug-16 21:12:29

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/video/2011/dec/09/beauty-tips-flicky-eyeliner-video

hollinhurst84 Sun 28-Aug-16 21:15:16

Rest your little finger on your cheek
Or sit down and rest elbow on table as well

Kiwi32 Sun 28-Aug-16 21:16:30

Try making a dotted line along the lash line first and then join the dots-helps with a less than steady hand! Also rest your elbow on something.
Go just to the end of the upper lash line first and then to get a nice 'flick' angle it up as if it's a continuation of your lower lash line (does that make any sense?!) Finally if it goes wrong use a damp cotton bud and concealer on any smudges.

Def put it on before your mascara. Happy practising!

GloveBug Sun 28-Aug-16 21:33:24

Thanks all.
Milpool it is Maxfactor masterpiece high precision liquid eye liner. It has a paddle shaped brush.
There were so many to choose from I didn't really know what to get but I was buying a maxfactor lipstick anyway and there was a buy one get one half price offer on so thought I'd give the eyeliner a go smile

TheDowagerCuntess Sun 28-Aug-16 21:43:12

I rest my hand against my face and start at the outside tip (i.e. the flick), and work my way in, staying really close to the lashes

ProseccoBitch Sun 28-Aug-16 21:44:28

I won't leave the house without eyeliner and have to use liquid as I have hooded eyelids so kohl just rubs off and onto the upper part of my eye. I use Stila stay all day waterproof as it's easy to use and the only one I've found that stays put, and I've tried loads of them. Put it on before anything else, start with a very fine line from the corner nearest your nose and work outwards. Stay really close to your lashes, you can always thicken the line afterwards. Then fill in any little gaps showing between the lashes by pointing the liner straight at them and dabbing on rather than dragging it sideways as you would when drawing a line. Then add mascara afterwards. Hope that helps! smile

Sleeperandthespindle Sun 28-Aug-16 21:47:44

I've never got the hang of it and rarely bother now. But when I do, I have a trick. I use liquid eyeliner before any other make up, just bung it on, then...take it off! It doesn't come off completely and leaves a nice line.

JonahAndTheSale Sun 28-Aug-16 21:59:00

I've just bought the soap and glory liquid eye liner and if you slant it downwards on your eye,I'd, it honestly applies itself! It sort of just travels along your lid.

Then do an upward flick from your lower eye to join the top part if this make sense.

The soap and glory one was £6.99!

Mooey89 Sun 28-Aug-16 22:02:53

Best tips I've seen - do your eyes first. That way you can rectify any mistakes without ruining foundation.
Use masking tape for a straight flick. Then, start from the middle of your eye to join to flick, then join start of eye to middle.

If you fuck it up a bit, blend some dark shadow over the 'flick', which will give you a smokey eye effect. Rest your elbow on something sturdy. Once you get it, it's easy. Good luck!

Mooey89 Sun 28-Aug-16 22:04:13

Also - do it with your eye open - that's what will be seen and how it looks with the eye open is what is important anyway!

GloveBug Sun 28-Aug-16 23:29:39

Love that tutorial honey smile
I've been having a play around and think I need to go for a finer nib. I keep getting the angle of the pale nib wrong and the thicker side keeps hitting my skin and leaving black marks where I don't want them

ZacharyQuack Mon 29-Aug-16 11:37:41

Pointy Q-tips and micellar water to clean up the edges.

tearsofrobertsmith Mon 29-Aug-16 12:56:03

Liquid straight onto unlined eyes is very tricky. I'm a whizz however with a liner felt pen from Collection (used to be Collection 2000) 24hour something or other. It has a lovely long pointy point, flexible but it behaves itself! You can achieve a great line and flick with this due to its pointyness and it stays on well. The black one goes on nicely black but I usually go over it with a liquid if I'm going out out or when the pen is a few weeks old and the colour is not so dense. If I recall correctly this wondrous item is less than £3! Once I've put liquid over the top (which is so easy as your line is already there) I take the pen and go over it again which smooths it all together.

tearsofrobertsmith Mon 29-Aug-16 12:58:28

Oh yeah, AND they do a brown version too which is what I use to fill in my brows a bit-again, lovely fine pointy end to get a nice, light feathery stroke through my brows. Last till its washed off too. Disclaimer - my hair is very dark and the brown version is fine. If you're lighter I'd avoid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now