Bras, where am I going wrong?

(8 Posts)
Tessticklesyourfancy Sun 28-Aug-16 18:28:50

I've been wearing a 38B for some time, they're ok but following the bra threads on here, I measured myself. 35 band 41.5 around boobs while bent over. I don't live near a Bravissimo and I'm not that struck on trailing around shops so I ordered online. I got two styles of 34 F the same in 36 DD and two more in 36 Efrom figleaves. The 34s were like cheese wire round my ribs and the rest didn't fit or feel right. I'm not sure if I'm an odd shape, didn't think so until I started on this. I'm 5ft 4 have a high waist, and high boobs. The sides of the bras seemed way too high under my arms and anything over a DD have really wide straps, which I don't need as my boobs aren't that big confused I've spent more time studying them this last few weeks than I've ever done. They are
High
Widish
Close together, I can get my index finger between them.
Don't seem either top or bottom heavy.
I tried some bras from Boux Avenue as well, same sizes and they didn't fit either.
Do I stuck as I am or can anyone offer advice , please grin ?

wowfudge Sun 28-Aug-16 20:06:49

I would go somewhere where you can try a wide variety of styles and sizes. I found Debenhams was best for this having always shopped at M&S in the past.

The band is going to feel tighter if you've been wearing 38 size bras in the past, at least initially. If a 34 is only comfortable on the loosest set of hooks then size up to a 36.

You probably need to try 36D and 36DD bras to see what fits best. Try all the different ones you can. When you find something you like also try it in a 34DD and 34E. Basically just find what fits best and is comfiest and looks best under clothes. Remember to adjust the straps too so the band sits correctly on your back.

The fit can vary wildly between styles in the same shop so try as many as you can at a time. Your shape sounds very similar to mine and I ended up with 34DD when according to the measuring method it should have been EE. Anyway, much better fit than my previous 36C or B. I hope that helps.

dreamingofsun Sun 28-Aug-16 20:07:02

is there a john lewis near you? i booked a fitting and spent about 40 mins trying on bras and bought 5. some styles suit better than others. i wouldn't have bought this size myself and its quite different from the ones i had been wearing. now i'm used to them i'm pleased with them

bluebiro Sun 28-Aug-16 20:21:52

To figure out which band measurement fits you best, you could try them on backwards (that way the cups/boobs don't interfere with the band measurement). You should be doing them up on the loosest hook. It should be fairly tight, but not painfully so! You should only be able to pull the band an inch or two away from your body.

It may be that you need different make/style bras to suit you. I know that Panache tend to have very high wires under the arms. I think Freya and Curvy Kate suit wider boobs. As wowfudge suggests, try a load of different ones on to find out what suits.

Tessticklesyourfancy Sun 28-Aug-16 22:57:45

Thanks for the replies
No John Lewis and the nearest Debenhams is a good hour away
The bras I mainly wear now are Next Pour Moi and Floozie through the wire on Floozie are a bit high
I had a look at curvy Kate online through they did look a bit, big. You're right I need to try more styles and I know I'm now looking at ish the right sizes but I think it will end up me ordering online rather than traipsing round shops, I'd rather eat my foot. grin

wowfudge Mon 29-Aug-16 00:23:42

Seriously you could get it sorted in half a day and by going to just one shop. Plus no returns to deal with!

PerspicaciaTick Mon 29-Aug-16 01:06:12

Don't forget the scooping. Lifting your breast tissue forward from under your arm into the cup. It definitely affects how a bra feels if you aren't doing it already.

Tessticklesyourfancy Mon 29-Aug-16 07:44:03

I scooped when I tried on the new ones but I don't scoop at the moment as I ended up with bulges, that's when I realised a 38B wasn't the right size.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now