Talk

Advanced search

So I've bought a bikini!

(7 Posts)
MyShinyThing Sat 27-Aug-16 17:59:02

2 in fact! But now I'm bricking it at the thought of wearing one in public having not worn one since I was about 7.

I'm now a 12/14 having previously been up to about a 20 and am decidedly wobbly around the middle. My stomach does that foldy thing when I'm sitting, I have what can only be described as a pouch and my belly button looks like it's been rouched!

I'm going away in 4 weeks with some close female friends and I'm having a real wobble about wearing one.

Would you? Have you? Should I?

I would crack on with some crunches but have nackered my back so there no hope of any improvement before I go!

macnab Sat 27-Aug-16 18:28:20

Everyone wears them abroad, honestly all shapes & sizes. Wear it with pride and gave a great time!

Paulat2112 Sat 27-Aug-16 18:34:19

Abs are made in the kitchen, as the saying goes, so don't even do anything to hurt your back. Obviously core exercises are good for supporting your back though, so maybe worth a google depending on if you feel like doing anything.

Be proud of yourself and your body! 12/14 is great and well done. Everyone wears a bikini, size 30 and all the way down! What sizes are your friends, have you asked them what they are taking? If you have similar sized friends and they are taking bikinis maybe that will put your mind at ease. Hope you have a great time

Deux Sat 27-Aug-16 18:38:27

I'm in Spain right now and in an area that is populated by Spaniards on holiday. Very few other nationalities.

The beach is fab. Everyone's in a bikini regardless of size and shape. Even very elderly women are in bikinis.

What I have noticed though is that most women, even slim and toned, have a bit of a tummy if they are 40+. And cellulite aplenty.

I'm quite happy in my bikini here.

It's great for body image. next time I'm going to get a spray tan before I come as I think wobbly bits look better a little tanned.

Rock it and enjoy.

mumofthemonsters808 Sat 27-Aug-16 18:49:09

Good for you, I don't know how people cope in the heat, wearing anything apart from a bikini. I agree with the suggestion about a spray tan, it does give you additional confidence, especially the first time you strip off.Enjoy your holiday and welcome to the bikini brigade, you'll never wear anything else again.

blue2014 Sat 27-Aug-16 18:50:10

I'm a size 18-20 and look better in a bikini than all in one. Wear it with pride smile

MyShinyThing Sat 27-Aug-16 18:58:31

You're all so right, thank you!

I was all for it to begin with but I was looking to buy another online today & of course all the models are slim & toned so it gave me second thoughts! I'll give my head a wobble though! Thinking back to when I was last away everyone but me was in a bikini & I felt so self conscious! Need to work on my body issues I think.

Friends range from size 8 to 16 & one is pregnant, all will be in bikinis so I really don't know why I'm so worried!

Probably because my stomach hadn't seen the light of day in 22 years! A spray tan is definitely a good idea, will it cover some of the stretch marks do you think?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now