Talk

Advanced search

Confused about bra sizing (small breasts)

(15 Posts)
trebleclef101 Sat 27-Aug-16 10:05:02

I have always been small breasted, and currently have a collection of VERY old M&S bras, all in 34A.

I need some new ones, so went to M&S and tried a whole load on, in 34A. In most of them I have a gap at the top between the bra and my breast. A quick bit on internet research tells me that means I need to go down a cup size. So I try 34AA and 36AA. 34 band size seems pretty comfy but none of the cups seem to fit right.

Now, I've just been on the Boob or Bust website as their size calculator was recommended to me, and I came out at a 28D hmm

Does anyone else have major issues finding well fitting bras for small breasts?!

I'm feeling extra miserable about it at the moment as I recently stopped breastfeeding and had been enjoying having temporary B cups thanks to the milk sad

DomesticAnarchist Sat 27-Aug-16 10:13:21

I was the same - grown up believing I was a 34B (at uni) and then struggling to find anything to fit as I went down to 34A etc.

But then, the bra interventions as you've found also put me at 28D!

Which is impossible to find - but I did get way better results from 30Cs found in JohnLewis.

Try ordering bras online - now that you've measured correctly they're far more likely to fit than your experience is telling you.

(I bought nursing bras online recently, having measured myself. They are the best fitting bras I've ever had).

Good luck!

DomesticAnarchist Sat 27-Aug-16 10:14:17

Sorry: long story short. YOU ARE A 28D go with it!

Blingygolightly Sat 27-Aug-16 11:12:26

I am a 28 too! Figleaves and eBay are your friends as the high street retailers seem to think the only people who are 28 bands are teenagers!hmm

Pestilence13610 Sat 27-Aug-16 11:13:17

28D
30C
32B
34A
All have very similar cup volumes, if you are skinny with no padding you may find a 30C more comfortable. Makes vary a lot though, use this as a starting point and experiment. It is ok to own bras in different sizes, so long as they fit and are comfy.
The real trick is to get to know what a good fit looks like, feels like.

FathomsDeep Sat 27-Aug-16 11:18:39

All my life I thought I had small breasts. I wore a 36B for years. After I'd finished breastfeeding I wore a 34A. I'd read all the bra intervention threads and was absolutely convinced they didn't apply to me. Anyway, I was finally convinced to go to Bravissimo. I thought they'd laugh me out of the place but they were lovely. And I came out with some lovely new bras in a size 30E! I've put on a bit of weight since then and now wear a 34F.

I still have modest boobs. There is a public perception that anything over a C cup is mahoosive but this isn't the case.

Bottom line - try on the 28Ds. You may well be surprised by how well they fit b

FathomsDeep Sat 27-Aug-16 11:21:46

Oh and I do have small boobs by they way. I thought people with F cups looked like Jordan but this is not necessarily the case. A 32F has the same cup volume as a 38C.

trebleclef101 Sat 27-Aug-16 11:52:17

I remain skeptical but will have to go bra shopping again and try a smaller back / bigger cup combo!

I did get fitted at Boux Avenue when I was pregnant and they measured me at a 30C I think, but trying on their bras in that size was one of the most uncomfortable experiences of my life!

Also got measured at M&S and they put me in a 34A, only to then find that all the 34As they bought me to try didn't really fit properly.

Kind of put me off being measured by a "professional".

dementedpixie Sat 27-Aug-16 11:58:41

M&S add inches to the back size which is why they have put you in a 34 rather than what your back actually measures. You are more likely to be a 30 than a 34 back if they have measured you. I used to wear a 40C but now wear 36GG!!

MirrorMirrorOnTheFloor Sat 27-Aug-16 11:59:44

Bravissimo is my go to place for 28 back bras, if you're near one do give them a try. You may well be in their size range (they start at D) but even if not they will give superb advice.

Believeitornot Sat 27-Aug-16 11:59:56

I thought I was a 34b but after a MN intervention i wear 30D

Much more comfortable. Someone linked to a blog which explained it to me.

dementedpixie Sat 27-Aug-16 12:00:22

Also remember not all cup are the same size I.e. A 32B will be a smaller cup size than a 36B as the cup size is relative to the back size.

MammyHester9116 Sat 27-Aug-16 12:23:28

Believe boob or bust!
I was unsure about my size. I had been wearing 38dd/e. I did their calculator and came out as 34h! I went to bravissimo and they put me in the same and it felt so much better!
Read what happened when their secret shoppers went to m and s and their reasoning for +4/5 method.

MammyHester9116 Sat 27-Aug-16 12:25:19

Remember to go up a cup rather than a back size if it is too tight. If the cups are too small they make the back feel tighter. That was the mistake I kept making!

HardToDeal Sat 27-Aug-16 12:27:46

I'm a 28D but often wear 30C as they're easier to find - there's not much in it fit wise for me tbh and 30C are slightly easier to find! Try Amazon for bargains, surprisingly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now