We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Asking fashion advice on MN

(55 Posts)
Thingmcthingyface Fri 26-Aug-16 10:03:19

First world problem alert....

Going to a veh veh fancy wedding this weekend. I am going to be a very ordinary person at this event, to which some major celebs turn out to also be going, gulp so I need to scrub up a bit. Btw this is not my usual weekend mostly I am covered in baby sick and leaky boobs

I spotted Reiss' Crystal skirt for £120 which would be a record spend for me on any item of clothing EVER including shoes or bags or coats. I have a hard wearing boring functional ugly wardrobe usually, due to having a physical day job and being an 8/10 on the clumsy scale.

This Reiss jobby is tewwibly nice and I look like a real lady in it. And i can get DH to buy it for me as birthday present also false economy really since it's all the same pot at the end of the day. So good so far. The problem is
1. It's palest green
2. It's tuille

I once owned a pale green thing before, 'twas lovely, and then there was some tomato sauce and that was that. Lasted a week I'd say.

I am also someone who navigates round obsticals by gently not so gently bumping into them. I have owned nice knits before and then there has been snagging on doorways, benches, trees, bracelets and they usually last about a week.

So I feel that I might as well make a skirt out of fivers and sit in the rain... But it's oh so so pretty and I reaaaallly like it... Asos have some vastly cheaper looking versions of the same idea but they aren't nearly as nice...sort of make me look like a child ballerina.

AIBU as a clumsy as fuck tomato sauce eating person with not a single nice place to wear nice things to ever apart from this weekend to spend one weeks maternity pay on a SKIRT? Or is Reiss BU for making something so pretty and delicate and charging a bloomin fortune for it?

Oh and I have no time to think of anything else so it's the Reiss skirt or something horrid from the back of the closet...

Justwanttoweeinpeace Fri 26-Aug-16 10:04:41

Get this message on Style and Beauty, they know the answer to everything there smile

But I'd say buy it smile

AnyTheWiser Fri 26-Aug-16 10:09:32

Oh, wear any old thing. You write so well, I'm sure you'd be a fab person to be on a table with at a wedding. You're funny! grin

Fluffsnuts Fri 26-Aug-16 10:26:20

Does it suit you? If so, buy it. Do you have top and shoes and bag to go with it?

Thingmcthingyface Fri 26-Aug-16 10:31:19

Oooh Justwanttoweeinpeace how to i get it moved? Or do I just repost it there? btw I am with you on your username, oh so very much.

Thingmcthingyface Fri 26-Aug-16 10:38:16

Anythewiser gosh thank you (blush shuffle) sat with my work mates. they are no longer dazzled by my chat, sadly. I think my sparkly repartee might rely on you not being able to see quite how many holes there are in everything I'm wearing, which is what happens when you've refused to spend more than a tenner on an outfit for the last five years...

I do indeed have a top and a bag and even a necklace which don't just match, they look positively styled I'm quite pleased by the whole thing really... Just sad that it's effectively dressing in pricey butterflies' wings and going ski jumping.

DaisyDando Fri 26-Aug-16 10:39:33

Is it in stock OP?

Thingmcthingyface Fri 26-Aug-16 10:40:17

The sodding label even says 'this shit snags like hell its not our fault that it'll be ruined even before you get out of the house, don't come crying to customer services' or words to that effect.

Hoppinggreen Fri 26-Aug-16 10:40:19

Get this moved to style and beauty, there are some amazing fashionistas on there ( but not so amazing that they make you feel shit)

Thingmcthingyface Fri 26-Aug-16 10:41:58

I have it in my house right now with labels on and returns box to hand. I also have a bag full of asos cheap knockoffs. At least 90% of this shit has to go back. My credit card HURTS.

Jaimx86 Fri 26-Aug-16 10:43:18

If it is out of stock (as it appears on the website), Needle and Thread do tulle skirts too.

Jaimx86 Fri 26-Aug-16 10:44:08

Ignore me. I see you have it at your house.

As it's sold out, and therefore in demand, could you wear it to the event and then put it on eBay?

Thingmcthingyface Fri 26-Aug-16 10:44:42

It also says 'delicate dry clean only' as well! Reiss you bastards!!!

Thingmcthingyface Fri 26-Aug-16 10:48:16

Oooh. Those are NICE. Huh. I guess I do have an inner woman after all. And she likes TUILLE.... eBay suggestion is truly excellent! Look at me, being all on trend and stuff with my sold out skirt. Take THAT wedding celebs! Maybe I could sell it to one of them over dinner grin

ConvincingLiar Fri 26-Aug-16 10:55:52

Fuck it, I'd keep the pretty skirt. It clearly makes you happy.

justjuanmorebeer Fri 26-Aug-16 11:08:17

I'd keep it if you love it. Feel brave enough to post a pic of your outfit?

sizeofalentil Fri 26-Aug-16 11:15:49

I'd keep it and wear it because it'll make you feel beautiful and confident and that will make it worth a lot more than any cheaper knock-off

DonkeyOaty Fri 26-Aug-16 11:34:39

Keep it, look and feel super snazzy at your posh do then ebay and feel smuggola

Thingmcthingyface Fri 26-Aug-16 12:13:14

Well I think it looks nice...

Floisme Fri 26-Aug-16 12:20:00

I think that looks lovely. If you still want to look at other options, these have a bit of a following on Style and Beauty and they're washable too. I'm linking the grey cos it's the one I love but they do plenty of other colours.
www.elsiesattic.co.uk/product/charcoal-midi-tulle-tutu-skirt/

But if Reiss is The One then buy it but please don't Ebay it. Wear it out.

Thingmcthingyface Fri 26-Aug-16 14:10:42

Oh Floisme that's Gorgeous. I guess I'm a sucker for these skirts! Wish I had seen that in time to get it instead as well as the other one. starts collection never wears collection. Thank you all for your help flowers

Floisme Fri 26-Aug-16 14:52:13

Ah sorry, I missed the bit about the wedding being this weekend. In that case, Reiss not nylony Asos knock offs. And give those celebs a run for their money.

JohnCheese Fri 26-Aug-16 15:01:07

Keep the flipping skirt. The whole outfit looks great! It isn't often you find that 'perfect' something. Keep it and enjoy it.

MermaidTears Fri 26-Aug-16 15:06:15

Ok just seen and you need to wear outfit. It's just goes together. Polished. Styled. Whatever. It's lovely! Right up my street.

Also not sure why I found this funny but I just laughed that you stood up on your bed to take the picture haha

AnnaMarlowe Fri 26-Aug-16 15:16:42

Life is short. Keep the skirt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now