Talk

Advanced search

Leather jackets - still in?

(13 Posts)
Labyrinthian Fri 26-Aug-16 07:21:52

So, is it worth getting a leather jacket? I'm somewhere at the moment I can get one tailor made. Is it a good fashion investment?! And should I pick a colour - black or tan? I'd prefer tan, is that a good choice longer term?

Pisssssedofff Fri 26-Aug-16 07:30:10

Tan will be less harsh in the longer term, leather jackets don't go out of fashion they are always in the background

lasttimeround Fri 26-Aug-16 07:32:28

I think leather jackets will always be in. It depends on the style of it. Fairly short biker jackets hsve been heavily in for a few years now so I'm starting to wonder if they are on their way out. Although the most recent update is getting them in softer colours - light greys, blush pink.
Sorry that's not the most helpful

PopadomPointer Fri 26-Aug-16 07:32:46

Leather jackets will always be in fashion.
Personally I would choose black,because black is more versatile.

Tailor made.you lucky thingwink

TheForeignOffice Fri 26-Aug-16 07:35:08

May I ask what country you're in for tailoring? I'd go for dark green or navy if those are options...

lasttimeround Fri 26-Aug-16 07:41:27

I think a jacket will be great of course but if you're concerned to look on trend (and I think the biker is v v slowly on its way out) I think other leather items are going really strong such as a pencil skirt or a dress. I'm starting to see long leather coats too See cinefog.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Fall-Winter-2015-2016-Fashion-Trends-10.jpg
I not really fashion enough to say what I'd get made but I missed out on the biker jacket trend and would now only to if in leather look because I'm guessing this year and next left at best.

Labyrinthian Fri 26-Aug-16 07:50:33

Oh you are all so helpful. I was thinking maybe a tan leather skirt, and to be worn separately maybe I go a cream leather jacket???

Labyrinthian Fri 26-Aug-16 07:54:14

Oh and I'm in Vietnam. Getting a new wardrobe made. (Lost a lot of clothes in house fire and I'm here on holidays)

TheForeignOffice Fri 26-Aug-16 07:59:41

Sorry about your fire shock. I'd go for both tan and black pencil skirts. Does your tailor do suede too?

Not personally a fan of pale leathers as they can discolour easily in sunlight, which is the only time I think they'd look good to wear as pale colours.

Labyrinthian Fri 26-Aug-16 08:12:07

That is super helpful, I didn't now about fading. Thanks so much

Mrs9C Fri 26-Aug-16 09:26:14

Leather is always in. I so so regret selling my leather jacket a few years ago, I didn't realise quite how much wear i could have got out of it.

Floisme Fri 26-Aug-16 09:27:48

Leather jackets have been around as long as I can remember but the biker style is such a big trend that, as lasttime says, it's bound to go out of fashion at some point - think of the 80s oversized jackets or the 90s fitted leather blazers.

We're now beginning to see new styles in the shops but so far mostly bombers, which don't look too different. I think eventually that short, fitted silhouette will go but who knows when!

I really like bikers and I don't think they'll date overnight but if I bought one now, I would wear it to death and I'd regard it as a treat, not an investment.

I'm not a fan of black and I don't agree that it goes with everything so if it was me, I'd probably go for grey or very, very dark brown. But it depends on what suits you.

Sorry about your fire and hope you get some fab replacements.

AyeAmarok Fri 26-Aug-16 09:33:19

If you think black is too harsh then a medium to darkish grey might be an option?

Grey is fab. So versatile.

I've also been wondering if biker jackets are stepping back a bit (though I agree they'll always be a good thing to have even if not current height of fashion). I've seen a few that are hip/bum length recently and sort of belted in the middle that look quite smart.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now