Talk

Advanced search

Gel nails

(7 Posts)
Wolfiefan Wed 24-Aug-16 21:25:39

Be gentle. I'm not normally one for the style and beauty threads!
I paint my nails and they chip within a few hours. Are gel nails really worth it? Would they last two weeks?
I'm concerned about them chipping or wrecking my nails. Also a bit worried about the UV.
Or maybe get a lamp and do them myself? Does anyone actually do this? Any good lamps or polishes to try?
Well I did warn you I was clueless!
grin

CremeBrulee Wed 24-Aug-16 21:28:10

My DD had a mani/pedi done two weeks ago by a therapist using Vinylux nail polish. It's not gel, just normal polish but has lasted amazingly well.

I have gel polish (Shellac) but am tempted to try this out instead as it would be so much easier to remove.

Wolfiefan Wed 24-Aug-16 21:41:30

I'm worried the removal may trash my nails. Nothing I can buy has lasted so far.

WeeM Wed 24-Aug-16 21:48:13

I love gel polish it's fab. But don't pick it off or that will wreck your nails! If you soak it off its fine. I've been told about vinylux-I'm keen to try it.

Vvlgari Wed 24-Aug-16 21:56:07

I've been having gel nails for a couple of years and they are brilliant. Mine last probably about 2-2.5 weeks before the edges start lifting and the regrowth is too noticeable.

I'd definitely recommend them. BUT! Don't have them constantly as it will weaken your nails. Some brands seem to be worse for this than others. Gelish was better, Bio and Shellac worse. I'd recommend two weeks on and two weeks off to give your nails a rest, and make sure you use nourishing oil/cream in the break. Don't be tempted to peel them off. I did this once and my nails were awful.

If they are careful with the removal of the gels, i.e. just using an emery board to roughen the surface rather than trying to use it to remove most of the varnish (as one salon tried to do to me) and soaking in acetone for long enough to get the rest off without too much scraping, you should be fine.

Judydreamsofhorses Wed 24-Aug-16 21:57:09

I rarely have gels and do my own nails, but when I have, they haven't lasted anywhere near a fortnight. My last lot were Jessica Geleration for going away a few weeks back, and by the end of a week one nail was lifting at the base and could have been peeled off. I found the Jessica very painless to soak off (did it myself) and my nails have no damage at all. I've found other brands have left my nails in poor nick.

Pinkerbeller Wed 24-Aug-16 22:23:10

I do my own gels with Bluesky and can't help but peel them off rather than soak them.

They last two weeks of heavy keyboard bashing easily as long as I remember to cap the free edge and I've not seen any damage but I do keep them relatively short.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now